ADVERTISEMENT

Its Game Week! Monken is the Man!

sprint-draw gandy!

All American
May 30, 2004
We're gonna go out and hit this team in the damned mouth in front of everyone! The snowball has started rolling and the talent will continue to build from here. Huge strides this year. CUSA contenders and some national exposure of the turn around!

The visiting team / their fans have no respect for us after the last 3 years. They are in for a rude awakening.

Back in Black baby!

SMTTT!

Think I heard almost the exact same quote before the game last year. Then Monken post game quote ..

Second-year coach Todd Monken said he "hoped the Golden Eagles would be more competitive this season thanks to a deeper roster and continuity within the coaching staff."

Think I heard almost the exact same quote before the game last year. Then Monken post game quote ..

Second-year coach Todd Monken said he "hoped the Golden Eagles would be more competitive this season thanks to a deeper roster and continuity within the coaching staff."
Wonder what Mullen will say after losing in Hattiesburg.

Reactions: O.G. Eagle
The coin flip??? He won't have too much to say about losing the coin flip after winning the game by 20-30 points.

Wonder what Mullen will say after losing in Hattiesburg.

Instead of 'Jr High' smack talk .. why not post some reasons 'why' you think that USM will win this game.

Monken has brought in ~22 transfers and JC players. Some have 'troubled' pasts. Has he been able to keep the team grounded? How many contribute? Does Mullens or Matthews start at QB?

Instead of 'Jr High' smack talk .. why not post some reasons 'why' you think that USM will win this game.

Monken has brought in ~22 transfers and JC players. Some have 'troubled' pasts. Has he been able to keep the team grounded? How many contribute? Does Mullens or Matthews start at QB?
We can only hope. Most. No idea.

Troubled? You mean like the dope head receiver that got arrested? Oh, wait. That's YOUR player.

Troubled? You mean like the dope head receiver that got arrested? Oh, wait. That's YOUR player.

Absolutely .. he is 'our' player. You do know that every team has some player issues. I've already discussed Wilson in another thread on this board. Bear was with the wrong folks at the wrong time and I'm sure he will be disciplined by Coach Mullen.

So, which is worse .. being in a car with dope or the TWO Southern Miss WRs .. James Cox and Kyle Foster, who were arrested on three felony counts .. armed robbery, burglary of an occupied dwelling and kidnapping?

Those guys must a just 'slipped' your mind.

Absolutely .. he is 'our' player. You do know that every team has some player issues. I've already discussed Wilson in another thread on this board. Bear was with the wrong folks at the wrong time and I'm sure he will be disciplined by Coach Mullen.

So, which is worse .. being in a car with dope or the TWO Southern Miss WRs .. James Cox and Kyle Foster, who were arrested on three felony counts .. armed robbery, burglary of an occupied dwelling and kidnapping?

Um, those guys were kicked off the team immediately. Your criminal player will start on Saturday. Next.

Both are minor compared to a qb who threatened to get his ak and spray bullets all over a bar. Now thats a starting qB!

Lets get back to the discussion.........Off the field issues don't have jack shit to do with what happens on the field Saturday night. We have gotten some JC transfers that should contribute and could put an end to a "Mighty $EC" team that has everything to lose. Us, we don't have a damn thing to lose because no one expects the game to be close anyway. I'm not saying we will win, but if we do, will you be man enough to come back on here and eat your crow? Ill serve it fried, grilled or broiled........your choice.

Last edited:
I'm pumped up and excited about this game! I don't know how it will turn out, but I'm expecting a good game. If there was ever a time to pull off a big win, the 1st game of the year is the one to do it. Given the results of last year's game, you know State isn't concerned at all about this game and just sees it as a tune up for next week against LSU. Despite anything that is said, you know they are looking past USM. I expect Southern Miss to be far more pumped up for the game than State- and that can have an impact. And playing on their home field helps.

Just my opinion, but I think the Southern Miss defense will really show up for this game. I think there are only 3 starters from last year's game that will be starting this year: Michael Smith, Brian Anderson, and Kalan Reed. The infusion of new talent and depth, and the significant improvement of defensive players from last year's team should make this a defense that is fun to watch. I think the primary key to whether or not Southern Miss gets a win or not is dependent on how well the offense does. Not to be a downer, but this is how our drives went in the 1st half of last year's game:

3 plays intercepted
3 plays punt
3 plays punt
5 plays fumble
3 plays punt
3 plays punt
9 plays punt
5 plays punt
3 plays interception

No matter how good our defense is, if the offense plays anything like last year there is no way the D can keep us in the game. We've heard great things about the improvement of the offensive line, a new highly touted QB that will probably share time with Mullens, tight ends unlike last year, RB Jalen Richard that is said to be vastly improved going into his senior season, and the Michigan transfer Justice Hayes who I'm sure wants to have an impressive performance. Hopefully our group of wide receivers will make the big plays. Until they get out on the field we won't know for sure how good they are. If they ARE good- anything is possible tonight.

With all the new talent, it will be interesting to see which players come through with big plays. I think in many cases the difference between first and second team players may be barely noticeable. You know Monken is going to be rotating them, so it will be interesting to see who is on the field at any given time. We'll learn a whole lot about this team by the end of the game. Hopefully it will be the beginning of a big turnaround for the Southern Miss football program.

We're gonna go out and hit this team in the damned mouth in front of everyone! The snowball has started rolling and the talent will continue to build from here. Huge strides this year. CUSA contenders and some national exposure of the turn around!

The visiting team / their fans have no respect for us after the last 3 years. They are in for a rude awakening.

Back in Black baby!

SMTTT!
I'm pumped up and excited about this game! I don't know how it will turn out, but I'm expecting a good game. If there was ever a time to pull off a big win, the 1st game of the year is the one to do it. Given the results of last year's game, you know State isn't concerned at all about this game and just sees it as a tune up for next week against LSU. Despite anything that is said, you know they are looking past USM. I expect Southern Miss to be far more pumped up for the game than State- and that can have an impact. And playing on their home field helps.

Just my opinion, but I think the Southern Miss defense will really show up for this game. I think there are only 3 starters from last year's game that will be starting this year: Michael Smith, Brian Anderson, and Kalan Reed. The infusion of new talent and depth, and the significant improvement of defensive players from last year's team should make this a defense that is fun to watch. I think the primary key to whether or not Southern Miss gets a win or not is dependent on how well the offense does. Not to be a downer, but this is how our drives went in the 1st half of last year's game:

3 plays intercepted
3 plays punt
3 plays punt
5 plays fumble
3 plays punt
3 plays punt
9 plays punt
5 plays punt
3 plays interception

No matter how good our defense is, if the offense plays anything like last year there is no way the D can keep us in the game. We've heard great things about the improvement of the offensive line, a new highly touted QB that will probably share time with Mullens, tight ends unlike last year, RB Jalen Richard that is said to be vastly improved going into his senior season, and the Michigan transfer Justice Hayes who I'm sure wants to have an impressive performance. Hopefully our group of wide receivers will make the big plays. Until they get out on the field we won't know for sure how good they are. If they ARE good- anything is possible tonight.

With all the new talent, it will be interesting to see which players come through with big plays. I think in many cases the difference between first and second team players may be barely noticeable. You know Monken is going to be rotating them, so it will be interesting to see who is on the field at any given time. We'll learn a whole lot about this team by the end of the game. Hopefully it will be the beginning of a big turnaround for the Southern Miss football program.
I hate it, but State is going to put the beat down on us just like last year. The 70s and 80s are over. We aren't competitive with State or Ole Miss anymore. I just hope none of our guys get hurt too bad so that they ARE able to play against the teams that they are now semi competitive with (Rice, La Tech, San Antonio, UTEP, etc).

I hate it, but State is going to put the beat down on us just like last year. The 70s and 80s are over. We aren't competitive with State or Ole Miss anymore. I just hope none of our guys get hurt too bad so that they ARE able to play against the teams that they are now semi competitive with (Rice, La Tech, San Antonio, UTEP, etc).

Good call. I bet you can find yourself some nice SEC gear at Walmart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT