ADVERTISEMENT

I know we have to make the most of it.

SSME

BGN Hall of Fame
Oct 28, 2002
This time of year when nothing much is going on sure makes this 2 1/2 moth period of Summer seem like a long time.

=PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

I am very curious to see how the defensive coordinator does. They seemed pretty strong in the Spring game. Yes!!!, I am having some problems getting used to all the new coaches. I want to look back and say, "This was the most brilliant group of coaching hires I've seen since I have been a fan." (That would be about 1967.)

Without starting out negative, what have you seen coaching wise that you like? What are your concerns?

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!

I think they divided the team through a draft for the spring game so it was not first string against the 2nd. Not sure we can read much into that scramage. I believe Coach Hop said that was more of a capstone fun event than a measure of where the teams was. As a little tangent to the subject, Hop's comments in Huntsville the week before last were:

Nick throws a pass in tight traffic better than anyone he has seen. No other QB on the team has had any playing time at D1. My read was that he was not losing sleep over the QB but look for the number 2 to get some playing time this year.

Ito is a great RB but the team's second leading rusher was the punter. I got the feeling he was not worried about the position but it was a humorous stat.

Will Freeman will play both ways. This is not new info but I got the impression that this is a position he does lose sleep over. For anyone who has seen Will, has he added the weight? Seems like he has a hard time adding the extra pounds. I can remember, did he play some offensive line as a freshman? Not sure where his level of proficiency will be on that side of the ball. Seems desperate to take a 5th year Sr from the Dline to the Oline.

Lost 70% of the WR production with two Sr graduating. I think he thinks he is okay as long as the other guys step up.

His other comments gave me the impression that he felt good about LBs and Safeties but worries about the corners. I would have thought LBs would be an area of concern.

I am curious about one thing...and correct me if I am wrong but does Hopson have all his coaches hired and in place? I noticed on the news last night that a new communications executive to the HC was hired. I don think that is a crucial area as far as the product on the field. But if Hop doesn't have all of his coaches hired and in place is that a cause for concern?

I am curious about one thing...and correct me if I am wrong but does Hopson have all his coaches hired and in place? I noticed on the news last night that a new communications executive to the HC was hired. I don think that is a crucial area as far as the product on the field. But if Hop doesn't have all of his coaches hired and in place is that a cause for concern?

I can't answer that specific question but I'll just say that I'm 100% concerned about ALL of it. Until we get to about mid season to see how this team is playing....I'm going to be concerned.

The top trend comment wanted to avoid the negitive post so take take this comment as a left brain no emotional assessment. Our offensive coaching staff on paper appears strong and would point to scoring a lot of points if this years WR can run route and catch the ball plus good O tackle replacements. For me, on paper, the defense's coaching worries me a lot. Hop never, as an FBS coordinator, had a top 50 defense. At FCS, ACS was 10th last year and was driven by the pass defense. They played a really really really weak schedule. By the same token CUSA west is not a list of powerhouse teams. His run defense last year does not make the top 50. At FBS Hop was fired twice in 4 years. I don't think anyone would have been successful at Memphis but is, to me of concern that Memphis would give him the ax after one year. Tony was a DC at D2 and in the SWAC. Not much before that. No a major roll at FSU. He will face much better couching at the FBS level. I personally do not believe anyone other than Hop would have hired him as a DC. With that we are playing a really week schedule. As long as you out score the other guys you win. I think the offensive staff and quality of players takes care of business and we win the West. Our defensive coaches are over matched in the SEC, championship and bowl games. We drop all of those.

This time of year when nothing much is going on sure makes this 2 1/2 moth period of Summer seem like a long time.

=PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

I am very curious to see how the defensive coordinator does. They seemed pretty strong in the Spring game. Yes!!!, I am having some problems getting used to all the new coaches. I want to look back and say, "This was the most brilliant group of coaching hires I've seen since I have been a fan." (That would be about 1967.)

Without starting out negative, what have you seen coaching wise that you like? What are your concerns?

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!
I like what we have on defense, especially our change in scheme. Last year there were comments from the opposition that when you faced us you pretty much knew what you were getting at all times. This worked great when we could out play the other team. When we faced a great O, we got beat up on, as in WKU and Washington. This coming year we will have multiple sets and blitzes. We will mix things up and really go after them in a much more aggressive manner. The word I keep hearing is "The Nasty Bunch is Back." Aggressive in your face D is what we will play. The linebackers will be 3 deep with the 3rd string being freshmen who will be pushing for playing time. The depth at CB was solved with the addition of the Louisville transfer, a speedy and talented former four star recruit, plus Bassfiled's Market who came in for the spring and is reportedly doing very good. The one area of concern is not having a lot of big guys on the D line. We have talent and bodies, just not a lot of big size. This could hurt us. So I like the D overall. Of course the O will be the strength, but D should be OK. This should be another very good year for us if we stay away from some key injuries at O tackle and QB. Also, Hopson was a hire I was cautiously optimistic about. Now after what I see in how he recruits and the feedback from the players and those watching practices, I am upgrading that to very optimistic. Now it's about time to play the games and find out for real. That said, Hopson said the number one thing we can do for him is to show up at the games. He said that it really makes a huge difference to the players and recruits.

I want you guys to know that really appreciate the feedback. It's a good conversation and needed.

Keep it going please, it's a long way yet to Sept 3rd, lol.

When do they report for practice?

I think this team could be the one of the best in USM history. It all defends on defense. Would you consider last year's D to be in a rebuild mode?

I don't think last year's D was a rebuilding year because the Heart of your D IMO are the LBs. we had SR last year and they were not that great. Serviceable but not great. Starters were just strong enough for CUSA West. We had a starter sent home before the Bowl game and the bench did not step up. I think the previous couching staff recognized the weakness and planed position changes to shore the LB position. The current crew elected not to make that change. My guess is, and time will tell, that that was a mistake. I think next year's team, like LF teams wins by putting up more points than the other guys can score. Sometimes we will need to score 50 to outscore the other guys. Think the TX State game. As a DC Jay never had a top 50 defense and I don't think that changes. Just my opion. I do think the Offense will be really good.

The top trend comment wanted to avoid the negitive post so take take this comment as a left brain no emotional assessment. Our offensive coaching staff on paper appears strong and would point to scoring a lot of points if this years WR can run route and catch the ball plus good O tackle replacements. For me, on paper, the defense's coaching worries me a lot. Hop never, as an FBS coordinator, had a top 50 defense. At FCS, ACS was 10th last year and was driven by the pass defense. They played a really really really weak schedule. By the same token CUSA west is not a list of powerhouse teams. His run defense last year does not make the top 50. At FBS Hop was fired twice in 4 years. I don't think anyone would have been successful at Memphis but is, to me of concern that Memphis would give him the ax after one year. Tony was a DC at D2 and in the SWAC. Not much before that. No a major roll at FSU. He will face much better couching at the FBS level. I personally do not believe anyone other than Hop would have hired him as a DC. With that we are playing a really week schedule. As long as you out score the other guys you win. I think the offensive staff and quality of players takes care of business and we win the West. Our defensive coaches are over matched in the SEC, championship and bowl games. We drop all of those.

I don't think last year's D was a rebuilding year because the Heart of your D IMO are the LBs. we had SR last year and they were not that great. Serviceable but not great. Starters were just strong enough for CUSA West. We had a starter sent home before the Bowl game and the bench did not step up. I think the previous couching staff recognized the weakness and planed position changes to shore the LB position. The current crew elected not to make that change. My guess is, and time will tell, that that was a mistake. I think next year's team, like LF teams wins by putting up more points than the other guys can score. Sometimes we will need to score 50 to outscore the other guys. Think the TX State game. As a DC Jay never had a top 50 defense and I don't think that changes. Just my opion. I do think the Offense will be really good.

I agree. When Hopson was here under Bower, I don't recall our Defenses ever being that good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT