ADVERTISEMENT

I am so tickled to be 6-3, and I am not sure if I am as delighted as I

scotteagle

All Conference
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2002
am relieved. But in any event I am glad to be back bowl bound. Yes, as critics in and out of our program have noted our schedule is weak, we haven't won against a mediocre team, or even close to mediocre team yet. But I don't care. We lost to some terrible teams the last few years and we could have lost to Alcorn State....would have if the breaks hadn't gone our way. We were really bad, and now we are not. I am delighted.

Now that coach Monken is off the list at the Coaches-hot-seat web page then some folks are worrying about losing him. Yikes! He just got off the "hot seat"...it's too early to start worrying about him leaving. But I would like us to raise him, his key staff including the S&C guy, and lock them down for longer deals.

Coach Monken is an odd guy in coaching. He seems unusually honest, except for injuries. he tells it all. He has a blunt way of speaking that I find appealing. (other than the fact that he ask and answers his own question, watch his press conferences, he does it all the time). I think we are lucky to have him, and I think we will have him for 2 or 3 more years. Next year looks like a break out year potentially. Let's extend him, pay him, and put in a huge buyout that breaks in our favor for a change.

Time will tell whether admin will plan ahead or continue making the same poor choices as in the past...

It's just water cooler talk. The only way Monken leaves is through a better offer. We don't know what he considers a better offer. Some are suggesting that he will be on the short list of some of the openings that are out there now. He may be. or not??? We just don't know.

I get the sense that Bill McGillis is aggressive, not reactive. He, being in the position that he is, will know before anyone else what offers Monken may be getting. I predict that he will step up. The limitations will of course always be the budget. But I don't believe that he will let Monken leave here without at least attempting to keep him and the staff in tact.

Best case in my mind is that Monken doesn't get any big offers this year and we sign him to a longer deal with a high buyout clause and we have a monster year next year. The higher buyout limits some schools from even looking at him. Others would not even flinch.

IMO, it's a good problem to have. No doubt we will be insecure if we have to go through another coaching search having been burned with E-loss but I personally am more comfortable with the AD that we have now.

If you think about this realistically, Monken's record is not outstanding at this point. If we continue to win and win the conference, things change.

Time will tell, but don't let this be more than water cooler talk at this point....it is all just speculation.

SMTTT!

am relieved. But in any event I am glad to be back bowl bound. Yes, as critics in and out of our program have noted our schedule is weak, we haven't won against a mediocre team, or even close to mediocre team yet. But I don't care. We lost to some terrible teams the last few years and we could have lost to Alcorn State....would have if the breaks hadn't gone our way. We were really bad, and now we are not. I am delighted.

Now that coach Monken is off the list at the Coaches-hot-seat web page then some folks are worrying about losing him. Yikes! He just got off the "hot seat"...it's too early to start worrying about him leaving. But I would like us to raise him, his key staff including the S&C guy, and lock them down for longer deals.

Coach Monken is an odd guy in coaching. He seems unusually honest, except for injuries. he tells it all. He has a blunt way of speaking that I find appealing. (other than the fact that he ask and answers his own question, watch his press conferences, he does it all the time). I think we are lucky to have him, and I think we will have him for 2 or 3 more years. Next year looks like a break out year potentially. Let's extend him, pay him, and put in a huge buyout that breaks in our favor for a change.
Winning 6 and looking forward to more wins is indeed a great time to be an Eagle. SMTTT

Reactions: scotteagle
Guys I think he came to us at basically same pay he was getting at OK State so money is not everything to him but yes its big to everyone . I think if he sees a commitment to continue improving the program he will stay. I just don't want him to lose him to lateral offer and yes I continue Memphis a lateral offer.

Reactions: BR Eagle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT