ADVERTISEMENT

How much time does Sadler get?

Houston Eagle

BGN Pro Poster
Aug 11, 2005
When does the point come where Sadler has become a liability? The non extension of his contract is a strong signal. I honestly don't see 4 consecutive losing seasons being tolerated despite what Tyndall did.

I hate it for Doc, and I really hate it for us. There is NO end in sight to the abyss. If the ball bounces perfectly and our shots are falling we can compete against mediocre teams. Otherwise, we can't compete at all. Mostly, we play 5 guards, and on occasion a forward. The players we need are few and far between, and rarely available to us. Unless Bill Gates walks through the door I don't see a way out for us. In any event, Doc is gone. We have but one senior and one would think we would be loaded next year. We could compete for a NAIA championship but even they have big men. Sigh.

Reactions: wooohooomercy
Losing the center he signed for this season due to a delay in the clearinghouse could not have helped. From what I have heard that player was cleared in mid-December but will sit out this season now. Other than that, starting off the conference schedule at Marshall and at WKU is about as tough a first two games in conference as could have been arranged

Reactions: scotteagle
Losing the center he signed for this season due to a delay in the clearinghouse could not have helped. From what I have heard that player was cleared in mid-December but will sit out this season now. Other than that, starting off the conference schedule at Marshall and at WKU is about as tough a first two games in conference as could have been arranged

I looked for him, 6-9 and thickly built. Maybe he'll be here for 2018-19. I don't see how we fire Doc then have money to hire a quality replacement.

I lay the lack of progress of the basketball program on a lack of vision and thinking outside of the box. At least Tyndall created excitement for better or worse. Create a capital fundraising campaign. Create a media buzz. Do something different. Find a multiple fauceted approach to raise money to gut Reed Green Coliseum. Quite frankly I am tired of the excuses. Believe me if wouldn't mind writing a check if I had the money to spare. The Coliseum needs 30 million? Get started somewhere....

I was thinking about this the other day and actually think that we still could build something here if we can get the fans and more importantly the money behind the program. We need the young, good coach and better players but it is possible. Did I mention we need more money?

And McNelis needs to retire. Replace her with an assistant level coach at a fraction of the $.

Nobody is going to win here, nobody. We have no program to build on, or to rebuild. We've never had a legit program. One NIT champ game 30 years ago and a couple of NCAA appearances does NOT make a program.

A coach can win here. Our conference is watered down enough that it is easier that CUSA twenty years ago. That being said, RGC should be gutted yesteryear. Why the admin has refused to start a campaign to remodel it is without excuse. Dupree is gone, so the lack of local support should go as well. I would even go with Mack the Knife's plan of reducing the capacity to 7k if that meant turning RG into a multiuse center.

There is money to be made in basketball. USM could dominate this state in basketball if it chose. The schools up north and other SEC schools have not realized the great potential money maker, which could bode well for USM.

I don't think Doc is the problem. Is he the greatest coach in the country? Of course not, but the lack of facilities and pure apathy from our alumni and students is the issue. Plus, we don't have the money to pay a better coach. We'd have to take a chance on a young unproven assistant.

Now, I don't see fixing RG any time soon, again, we just don't have the money. What we can control is getting fans to the game.We should be drawing 2500-3000 a game vs the worst teams on the schedule and 4000-5000 for conference games. It's up to the athletic department to get fans to the games and sell tickets. It's not the coach or the players responsibility, they have to focus on the games.

I agree with Houston...there is money to be made here, we just have to have vision from the leadership in the athletic department. We drew an average of 2,783 in 2017 and I'm sure that was a stretch. CUSA as a conference averaged 3,609. I've compiled the conference list below:

CUSA 2017

1. ODU - 6,572 (81st nationally)
2. UTEP - 6,400 (83)
3. MTSU - 5,908 (92)
4. Marshall - 5,815 (93)
5. Charlotte - 4, 551
6. UAB - 4,134
7. WKU - 3,915
8. La Tech - 2,942
9. USM - 2,783
10. Rice 2,101
11. North Texas - 2,089
12. FAU - 1,267
13. UTSA - 1,059.
14. FIU - 880

There are plenty of smaller schools that average more than we do, but many of those are basketball focused universities. Both State and Mississippi averaged over 7,000 in 2017. I don't see us ever averaging close to that, but I think 4500-5000 could be done with the right planning, a winning program and the right coach. How we make it happen is the question.

The RG renovation is non negotiable. I don't care if the admin has to pass around a plate during the game. Set a timeline to raise money. Call it Circle of Champions basketball. Take a multifauceted approach. I'll guarantee you that once a fraction is raised, a buzz will be created that will make raising the rest easier. Had this begun 10 years ago, then the money would long been raised.There will be serious obstacles, but they can be overcome with will and determination.

I was channel flipping and came across a TSU MVSU bb game. MVSU is currently winless at 0-19, yet they still managed a 17.5 million dollar renovation. It is fairly basic yet still nice. The same plus another 10 million could do the job. If Valley can, then so can USM.

Yes for supposedly bad mouthing players...is the college basketball court now considered a "safe space?" As Charlie Brown would say " Good grief!"

I don't think Doc is the problem. Is he the greatest coach in the country? Of course not, but the lack of facilities and pure apathy from our alumni and students is the issue. Plus, we don't have the money to pay a better coach. We'd have to take a chance on a young unproven assistant.

Now, I don't see fixing RG any time soon, again, we just don't have the money. What we can control is getting fans to the game.We should be drawing 2500-3000 a game vs the worst teams on the schedule and 4000-5000 for conference games. It's up to the athletic department to get fans to the games and sell tickets. It's not the coach or the players responsibility, they have to focus on the games.

I agree with Houston...there is money to be made here, we just have to have vision from the leadership in the athletic department. We drew an average of 2,783 in 2017 and I'm sure that was a stretch. CUSA as a conference averaged 3,609. I've compiled the conference list below:

CUSA 2017

1. ODU - 6,572 (81st nationally)
2. UTEP - 6,400 (83)
3. MTSU - 5,908 (92)
4. Marshall - 5,815 (93)
5. Charlotte - 4, 551
6. UAB - 4,134
7. WKU - 3,915
8. La Tech - 2,942
9. USM - 2,783
10. Rice 2,101
11. North Texas - 2,089
12. FAU - 1,267
13. UTSA - 1,059.
14. FIU - 880

There are plenty of smaller schools that average more than we do, but many of those are basketball focused universities. Both State and Mississippi averaged over 7,000 in 2017. I don't see us ever averaging close to that, but I think 4500-5000 could be done with the right planning, a winning program and the right coach. How we make it happen is the question.

What? Sadler is 100% the problem. No one was crying and saying its the end of the world bc of the yurt and poor attendance when we had a coach that was winning and packing the yurt. You know, before Sadler got here and turned 5 consecutive 20 win seasons into 3 consecutive 20 loss seasons. Likely never done before in the history of college basketball.

HA reporting that Bennett and Gilbert are asking for help from the Hattiesburg City Council. Finally!

Why it took 14 years to try this again is beyond me. 2004 was the last time the University tried to convince the city to help out. Crooked Dupree made sure the bond failed in 2004.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT