ADVERTISEMENT

Great Win, Bowl?

SethManKA1

Key Reserve
Dec 27, 2009
I'm so proud of the team! I'm not sure how the bowls pan out but will USM pick up a bowl? I hope so! I'm curious.

Reactions: shortbob
Southern Miss should be in one of these 6 bowls that are contracted to CUSA. In addition to these games there is a chance that the Independence Bowl might have a vacancy.

Sat., Dec. 17 Gildan New Mexico Bowl 2:00 p ET/1:00 p CT ESPN Sat., Dec. 17 R + L Carriers New Orleans Bowl 9:00 p ET/8:00 p CT ESPN Tue., Dec. 20 Marmot Boca Raton Bowl 7:00 p ET/6:00 p CT ESPN Fri.., Dec. 23 Popeyes Bahamas Bowl 1:00 p ET/12:00 p CT ESPN Sat., Dec. 24 Hawai’i Bowl 7:00 p ET/6:00 p CT ESPN Tue., Dec. 27 Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl 12:00 p ET/11:00 a CT ESPN

I sw last week's bowl projections and the projections had three 5-7 teams bowling. As you know a 5-7 team can not receive a bowl bid if a 6-6 team is available.

If State beats Ole Miss that takes out an SEC team from the Indy, but my guess is we go to Boca Raton or New Orleans.

If/when WMU defeats Ohio at Ford Field next Friday, that will also cause a vacant spot for a MAC tie in.

I think there is a good chance you will need a passport to go to our bowl game. They have to get an early commit for that one so the school can obtain passports for staff and team. Of the bowl eligible teams in the conference we will be 6 of 6.

If State beats Ole Miss that takes out an SEC team from the Indy, but my guess is we go to Boca Raton or New Orleans.
We need State to beat Ole Miss. It may improve our recruiting if some of Ole Miss' signees go to other SEC schools nd that would have a trickle down effect in improving. It may help us as the only bowl eligible team in the state. And it would just make all of us feelbetter.

I think unless there is some trading between bowls CUSA must fill its primary bowls before it can fill a secondary agreement. There will not be 7 6-6 or better teams in CUSA. If I am correct in that assumption the Indi Bowl is not an option.

Found another article that list just 5 primary bowls. The Bahamas bowl was not listed. Found this elsewhere " For the 2016 game, the Popeyes Bahamas Bowl will have an expanded group of universities who could make the trip to Nassau. The American Athletic Conference joins Conference USA and the MAC as participating conferences, and two of these conferences will meet in the Nassau stadium named for the late Bahamian Olympic track star on December 23." Thought I read somewhere else we have that tie in every other year. If true 5 bowls for 6 teams and we are 6 of 6.

I sw last week's bowl projections and the projections had three 5-7 teams bowling. As you know a 5-7 team can not receive a bowl bid if a 6-6 team is available.
I am sure that assume we would get an L today. That would leave maybe two spots

This time tomorrow there will be 7 teams bowl eligible in CUSA. The CUSA website has us tied to 6 bowls with the Indy being the 7th if the other conferences fall through. Of course, I have NO idea how these things get horse traded around, but I betcha we make it.
Tech
USM
ODU
WKY
MTSU
UNT and UTSA will need to win tomorrow, which they will, to finish 6-6.

We need State to beat Ole Miss. It may improve our recruiting if some of Ole Miss' signees go to other SEC schools nd that would have a trickle down effect in improving. It may help us as the only bowl eligible team in the state. And it would just make all of us feelbetter.
To assist the reader, I highlighted the only correct part of your post.

To assist the reader, I highlighted the only correct part of your post.
Eaglebird; That was the intent of my post.my post. SEC recruiting is cut throat and if Ole Miss is not bowl eligible that will be used against them. I may be wrong . The fact is this was a huge W for us.

Could here as early as the end of day today, but early rumors are we will be NOLA bound.
In the past the Conference champion had their choice of Bowl. Except for the Bahamas Bowl (have to get pastports) invites went out after the championship game. I would not expect the Chsmpions pick NO but I would not expects bids until after the championship game.

Eaglebird; That was the intent of my post.my post. SEC recruiting is cut throat and if Ole Miss is not bowl eligible that will be used against them. I may be wrong . The fact is this was a huge W for us.
Okay, you're right. Upon further review, I think it could have a positive effect. It certainly doesn't hurt.

I'm not a fan of the NOLA bowl but if my schedule permits I will try to go. Just don't care about playing another sunbelt team. But we may not go to that bowl.

In the past the Conference champion had their choice of Bowl. Except for the Bahamas Bowl (have to get pastports) invites went out after the championship game. I would not expect the Chsmpions pick NO but I would not expects bids until after the championship game.

I'm not a fan of the NOLA bowl but if my schedule permits I will try to go. Just don't care about playing another sunbelt team. But we may not go to that bowl.

A sunbelt team would be welcomed compared to this cusa crap we have been playing. Im not even joking. I also hope we play the weakest team possible. It betters our chance of finishing with a winning record.

I think the obvious choice would be that the champion select the Heart of Dallas Bowl as that is the only tie in where the opponent is a BCS team. USM still wants to play the best opponent possible. I think the Sun Belt's champion goes to the N.O. Bowl. As Ark State lost to ULL that moves Troy up to the SBC champion, right?
A sunbelt team would be welcomed compared to this cusa crap we have been playing. Im not even joking. I also hope we play the weakest team possible. It betters our chance of finishing with a winning record.

This season and last season are completely different as you know. Finishing 10-4 last year may have put us into the top 25. This year ending at 7-6 may be more important to the program. We should know for sure Tuesday.

I noticed on the New Orleans bowl website (neworleansbowl.org) that they had our victory over LA Tech at the bottom of their front page. Makes me wonder...

Three bowl predictions three different bowls. HI, Boca Raton and New Orleans. All of them seem to be just blind darts Thorobreds against the wall. One had us playing App State in the NO bowl. I would think Tory or Ark State would top App State for the Sunbelt top bowl

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT