ADVERTISEMENT

From WDAM Southern Miss QB competition is back open...

I don't believe there is going to be a competition. Abraham is completing 71% of his passes. Griggs will only become the starter if Jack gets hurt. I am happy to have Griggs back as a solid backup.

Jack threw 2 ints (and fumbled 3 times) last game. Griggs threw 2 ints ALL YEAR last year. One of which was when thrown in, in 4th qtr, backed up inside the 15 against TN. Griggs (6'3 btw) is a much better QB than Jack (prob 5'10). Its not even close.

Jack threw 2 ints (and fumbled 3 times) last game. Griggs threw 2 ints ALL YEAR last year. One of which was when thrown in, in 4th qtr, backed up inside the 15 against TN. Griggs (6'3 btw) is a much better QB than Jack (prob 5'10). Its not even close.

Jack is at 71%. Griggs will never get anywhere near that percentage. He fumbled 3 times because the defense was in the backfield the entire night. You surely saw that? One of Jack's ints was in desperation mode at the very end of the game. I will agree with you Griggs looks better in his uniform at 6'3" compared to Jack at 6'0". 71% while under continuous pressure is phenomenal. Griggs will be used in short yardage runs on Saturday.

One of his fumbles was in the end zone. He can throw 75% but we still lose with 4 turnovers and fumbles in the end zone. Griggs was injured all year last year. Ill take the 16/2 ratio and 57-60% every day over the 70% (vs JSU and ULM , mind you) with 4 turnovers. Idk, Jack may start, but it will be his last as long as Griggs is healthy. No possible way we lose the ULM game had Griggs been starting QB...even with that terrible Offensive Line. Quez bailed Jack out more than people claimed Korey Robertson did for KG. I like Jack. But hes not the better QB.

One of his fumbles was in the end zone. He can throw 75% but we still lose with 4 turnovers and fumbles in the end zone. Griggs was injured all year last year. Ill take the 16/2 ratio and 57-60% every day over the 70% (vs JSU and ULM , mind you) with 4 turnovers. Idk, Jack may start, but it will be his last as long as Griggs is healthy. No possible way we lose the ULM game had Griggs been starting QB...even with that terrible Offensive Line. Quez bailed Jack out more than people claimed Korey Robertson did for KG. I like Jack. But hes not the better QB.

Yes, one of the fumbles was near the end zone and was caused by an unblocked or hardly blocked defensive player stripping the ball. Griggs had a solid run game and offensive line when he played. Abraham had neither. He is putting up excellent stats and the defense knows we are going to throw almost every play. They don't have to worry about the run. Jack is not only the best QB on this team, but also our best offensive player. I was a huge Griggs fan last year, but now we have upgraded at that position. Griggs wouldn't have won that ULM game. He would have been running for his life too.

Last edited:
Yes, one of the fumbles was near the end zone and was caused by an unblocked or hardly blocked defensive player stripping the ball. Griggs had a solid run game and offensive line when he played. Abraham had neither. He is putting up excellent stats and the defense knows we are going to throw almost every play. They don't have to worry about the run. Jack is not only the best QB on this team, but also our best offensive player. I was a huge Griggs fan last year, but now we have upgraded at that position. Griggs wouldn't have won that ULM game. He would have been running for his life too.

This kid throws balls up for grabs. Thank goodness for Quez. Jack is far from the best offensive player on the team. You will learn this very soon. He is not a D1 QB from what i have seen. Simply not ready for prime time and disadvantaged physically. Idk, maybe one day he will make me eat my words.

They sure are grabbing a lot of the throws you say he throws up for grabs. To the tune of 71%. Ha! He is the most accurate QB we have had in a long time. I am not sure if Griggs is your son or not, but pretty much all of the fanbase can see how great Abraham is right now. Abraham would have to get hurt for Griggs to ever start another game for us at QB. We are so lucky we got Abraham a true D1 QB who can make all the throws in this offense. Doing such a great job with no time to throw.

Reactions: JonesCountyEagle
This kid throws balls up for grabs. Thank goodness for Quez. Jack is far from the best offensive player on the team. You will learn this very soon. He is not a D1 QB from what i have seen. Simply not ready for prime time and disadvantaged physically. Idk, maybe one day he will make me eat my words.

He made you eat your words against Rice.

He made you eat your words against Rice.
Actually, no he didnt. It was rice. The other games were jsu and ulm. Terrible teams. 85% of this throws are either shovel passes (hand offs), screens, or within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Thats why his % is so high. Over 300 of his yards were these hand offs / 5 yard passes / screens where it was all YAC. This is bc his arm is so weak. He makes good decisions and is smart. Gritty kid. But not a legit D1 qb. But hey, as long as it works. Id say wait till he sees some legit competition, but in this conference, he wont see it. Griggs is still the better qb and the coaching staff knows it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT