ADVERTISEMENT

Deja vu all over again. I think we knew UTSA was better than their record

scotteagle

All Conference
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2002
but this is silly. Our guys are flat, unprepared, and totally out of sync. Of course we can come back, but this isn't Rice or Savannah. let's go Eagles, settle down and play football.

"Fortunately" channel 35 in Jackson which is carrying the game is scrambled so I can't see it. yikes.

Enough with the SWAC remarks. Hell your beloved ELOSS Johnson was SEC approved and he was 0-12 and destroyed our program. We look like crap today no doubt.

Reactions: BR Eagle
I have been attending USM games since the 1960's, and I can tell you this is the worst defensive performance I can recall. The thing is, UTSA is NOT a good team, better than their record indicates, but not good. Yes, I doubt the old SWAC games, 65-52 kind of scores, would be as inept defensively as we are. Having said that, if we win this thing, and we CAN WIN, it might surpass the Kentucky game as one of the best comebacks ever. Let's go eagles.

Just in case anybody thought we were becoming a good football team, let this pull you back down to earth. What's disappointing—beyond the obvious—is that it's not like we're playing to the best of our abilities and simply getting outplayed by a better football team. It's that we're erratic, inconsistent, undisciplined, and appear to be ill-prepared. You don't recruit your way out of that. I'm afraid we're in for this for a while. Middle of the pack of a bottom dweller conference. (And if it wasn't for the long ball last week, Rice would've kicked our butts, too.)

Last edited:
8 wins looks optimistic....thanks to one of the weakest schedules in the NCAA.

Just in case anybody thought we were becoming a good football team, let this pull you back down to earth. What's disappointing—beyond the obvious—is that it's not like we're playing to the best of our abilities and simply getting outplayed by a better football team, it's that we're erratic, inconsistent, undisciplined, and appear to be ill-prepared. You don't recruit your way out of that. I'm afraid we're in for this for a while. Middle of the pack of a bottom dweller conference. (And if it wasn't for the long ball last week, Rice would've kicked our butts, too.)

To add to the frustration, this should be the year to win the conference and do well. Even with the growing pains of getting a new coaching staff, we should have had the talent and experience returning to win 10+ and take home the conference championship. We're losing the QB, majority of our O-linemen, and two best players on defense. Hard to see how next year is any better.

Reactions: 94Eagle
To add to the frustration, this should be the year to win the conference and do well. Even with the growing pains of getting a new coaching staff, we should have had the talent and experience returning to win 10+ and take home the conference championship. We're losing the QB, majority of our O-linemen, and two best players on defense. Hard to see how next year is any better.

Its probably back downhill the next couple years at least.

Troy exposed something. UTSA is also exposing it. Rice tried to use it. LA Tech will likely rip us apart worse than this with it. Marshall has a chance to use it also. Our lines, both of them, are too small. And our recruiting last year and this, more small linemen. We are 30 pounds too small roughly on both lines. Doesn't matter if strength and conditioning is improved if the guys just get beat by pure size.

DJ Thompson, if he could hold onto the ball, could win us games on his own. But he is a liability most of the time. Mullens has more turnovers himself than our D has gotten back for us on the season.

Reality is, we are not a good team. Barely average. We are borderline bad. We just have a schedule this year with a bunch of worse teams in it.

UTSA has had a very difficult schedule. They could win the West as easily as they just beat us.

Reactions: scotteagle
You need two things to be a Southern Miss fan: high hopes and low expectations. Life has been much easier since I adopted that mindset.

Reactions: scotteagle
I'm stuck going to the miserable coming LSU debacle. Fournette gonna light us up on the ground. It's gonna be ugly ugly ugly and embarrassing. I wish I could back out. This team....damn.

I'm stuck going to the miserable coming LSU debacle. Fournette gonna light us up on the ground. It's gonna be ugly ugly ugly and embarrassing. I wish I could back out. This team....damn.
Look at it as an opportunity for our coaches and team to be disciplined for poor performance and reoriented to real football. Regardless of the outcome, it will be good for them.

8 wins looks optimistic....thanks to one of the weakest schedules in the NCAA.
Not sure this team get 6 wins. I thought when he was hired that Hopson' s ceiling was lower then LF and TM but with our schedule I did not expect this level of performance. On one hand Coach puts the blame on himself but when it get to the detail it always a missed assignment here and missed assignment there. That puts it back on the players. But guess what, Tony's D if you check the stats was poor against the run at ASU and guess what it is poor against the run at USM. If you have a guy miss assignments and giving up big plays this many time a game at some point it goes beyond the players and is the scheme. Everyone should not be on an island. You should not have single point failures. Right now if the primary Guy for that gap does not make the play we give up too much. It is sad but our RB coach is a better defense LB coach than our LB/DC coornotor. Sure our offense had issues but they scored enough points last week to win.

I'm not sure our DC is D1 caliber but I believe we will be 7-4 heading into the LaTech game. I'm sure Monken would've done better but Hopson is learning how to run a D1 program as a head coach for the first time. The AAC isn't going to decline is for 1 loss against UTSA just like it won't add us for beating LSU. Southern Miss has a history of success and a loyal fan base. Although it could use some more fans I think USM is one had the few options for the AAC if they even do decide to expand.

Not sure this team get 6 wins. I thought when he was hired that Hopson' s ceiling was lower then LF and TM but with our schedule I did not expect this level of performance. On one hand Coach puts the blame on himself but when it get to the detail it always a missed assignment here and missed assignment there. That puts it back on the players. But guess what, Tony's D if you check the stats was poor against the run at ASU and guess what it is poor against the run at USM. If you have a guy miss assignments and giving up big plays this many time a game at some point it goes beyond the players and is the scheme. Everyone should not be on an island. You should not have single point failures. Right now if the primary Guy for that gap does not make the play we give up too much. It is sad but our RB coach is a better defense LB coach than our LB/DC coornotor. Sure our offense had issues but they scored enough points last week to win.
Hope you at right but we have 2 Ls with LSU Marshall ODU and LA Tech to go. Those could easily be four morv Ls given how we have played this year

All well 6-6 or 10-2 we are going to the same bowl game either way. I really thought this team had the potential to go undefeated this year and make some real noise. We might have with the old coaching staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT