ADVERTISEMENT

Call to Action!

Oct 31, 2002
As opening day approaches, I felt it was time for one of my psychotic rants.

I think that it is time to take back our town and south Mississippi. I get tired of seeing so much non-Southern Miss stuff on cars, shirts, hats, houses, whatever. So I am sending a call to action to all Black and Gold faithful.

If you got a car, put a sticker on it. If you can afford a license plate, get one. Put a vanity plate on the front. Fly your car flags. Do whatever you can to let people know who you support.

Put a flag on your house or a sign in your yard. Wear you Southern Miss clothes.

I know that I am preaching to the choir on this board, but I charge each of you to go to your friends that aren't on this board and tell them to show their pride!

Let's take back Hattiesburg and Mississippi.

65713_1442623234037_1817483_n.jpg

It's a great call to action. Many have said this same thing for as long as I can recall. When Angry and myself were running the old Eagle Talk, this subject came up over and over again. Even when we were winning CUSA titles and putting out NFL players on a consistent basis....Hattiesburg businesses still carried mostly SEC swag. Radio stations only carried Ole Piss and MSU games. It's even worse now. Have you tried to find Southern Miss football on radio outside of the Pinebelt area?

Few fans care enough to fly flags or buy car tags. I don't know the answer to the situation, but it hasn't changed and in fact is probably worse now since the implosion of the football program.

We have that core group of 15-20K fans that support the athletic programs and its hard to keep asking those same people to support more and more. The question has always been, what is the University doing to turn all of these new graduates into Southern Miss football/basketball/baseball supporters? It's very frustrating to still see kids on campus sporting Ole Piss, MSU, Bama and LSU swag while attending Southern Miss.

I don't have an answer. Winning programs help, but quite frankly, our situation now gives us little to no leverage to grow support. We are considered by the media three rungs below the two SEC programs in the state. We will have to make the playoffs for that to change, so I'm not holding my breath.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT