ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Apathy

Dec 22, 2003
I was absolutely shocked when I watched some basketball highlights and saw how few fans were in the stands at Reed Green, It looked like a girls game crowd.

Hattiesburg residents benefit from having the university in its town, I would be ashamed to have these kids play in front of only a handful of spectators. I would be embarrassed for them. The tickets are cheap and games are on weeknights, not weekends. They are 9-8. It is not like they are 0-17. I don't care how bad Sadler is... the fans need to come out.

The program will never get better without local support. Imagine a recruit making a visit to a game. It takes money to improve a program. That begins with ticket sales.

I went to the State game and we easily out played and out coached State. But there was a huge talent difference. I was impressed with Sandler’s offensive play calls and schemes. GreT motion and passing

I was at the game and the team really worked hard and there are a couple of talented players on the team. It was quite sad to see less than 1000 people in the stands. Best guess was maybe 750 people there. The team deserves better! I live in Covington, La. so I can't make the weekday games, but there is no reason....NONE....that we can't have 2,500-3,000 fans there every game!
I don't know what the fix is, but someone in the administration has to have some ideas. Basketball should be a decent money maker at a school like ours. Surely we can come up with some ideas here that could help the administration.

One thing I believe has hurt USM is the whole scandal with Tindell and then there were the sanctions for a few years. Someone correct me but didn’t we just get finished with the sanctions last year? I do hope now we can build. They did put in a new score board didn’t they??

The postseason ban is over with but Southern Miss is not back up to full scholarships in basketball and will not be fully back until 2019. As far as increasing attendance the only thing Southern Miss can do right now to increase it is to win more games. I was able to attend the UTEP and UTSA games while on my trip and the team is much improved from the previous year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...outhern-mississippi-ncaa-violations/82789692/

Mack the Knife spent I don't know how much money on the Reed Green renovation study. I'd like to know what payoff the university is getting from the knowledge gained from that study. Is there going to be follow up? At least Bill Mc II communicated the goings on but who knows where things are now.

In the end, the players do deserve better.

Sadler destroyed this program. cry in your milk if you want. but you need to admit that first if you want to be a big boy and understand the current status of this program.

ADVERTISEMENT