ADVERTISEMENT

An early look at Southern Miss from Kentucky Sports Radio...

For "Kentucky Sports Radio" that's a pretty balanced piece. They seemed to respect you guys, as they should. But the fans don't see it that way. The attitude of the typical fan is better expressed in the comments.

They think they are better than you, and without question every Kentucky fan has already marked this game up as a win. If they lose to you, it's unforgiveable. Their season is over and their coach should be fired. Not one of them will say, "We lost to a pretty good team today." It will be about how bad they must suck to lose to you.

We have a long history with you guys and I, for one, have nothing but respect. I'll be pulling for you to show them USM football.

Thanks, I was stationed in Louisville, KY from 2010 to 2014. It was a great town and I hope to get transferred back after my present tour in St. Louis.

For "Kentucky Sports Radio" that's a pretty balanced piece. They seemed to respect you guys, as they should. But the fans don't see it that way. The attitude of the typical fan is better expressed in the comments.

They think they are better than you, and without question every Kentucky fan has already marked this game up as a win. If they lose to you, it's unforgiveable. Their season is over and their coach should be fired. Not one of them will say, "We lost to a pretty good team today." It will be about how bad they must suck to lose to you.

We have a long history with you guys and I, for one, have nothing but respect. I'll be pulling for you to show them USM football.
Thanks for the comment I miss playing you guys. I had a great time at our last bowl game in St Pete

Reactions: genghis_card
I miss playing the Cards as well. USM should approach this game as a big road game against SEC competition, which means that mistake free football must be played for a chance at a victory. I hope that USM can do something it hasn't done in 16 years...win against an SEC team. I feel that if USM wins, it can possibly be undefeated going into Death Valley.

I feel that this game is a lot like the Nebraska game last year. We will face a very physical team that very tough. We lost last year because there were too many mistakes early.

I haven't heard anyone say that. We are a basketball state and expect to lose this game. I for one know southern miss will win. On our rivals football forum, wildcat lair, many are expecting a tough game.

If Southern Miss is still the hard nosed bust'em up team they were in the past when we used to play you guys, they UK is gonna get smashed. Kentucky is among the most undeservedly arrogant football programs out there, they believe that their conference affiliation makes them a better program.
UK will have no defense this season, their QB panics at the first sign of a pass rush and they have a propensity to quit. Should Southern Miss control UK's run game and prevent UK from achieving a lead they will win this game.
It's a shame how realignment has effected the Southern Miss program, always a program that earned more than it ever received. Beat UK.

I haven't heard anyone say that. We are a basketball state and expect to lose this game. I for one know southern miss will win. On our rivals football forum, wildcat lair, many are expecting a tough game.

Go over to the UK board and have a look. There are USM threads whereally it is obvious, but even more important- go to the season prediction threads. Beating you guys is a given in their tiny little minds.

Thanks for the comment I miss playing you guys. I had a great time at our last bowl game in St Pete

We had so many good games. How the heck did we win that last one in the pouring rain in Hattiesburg?

I don't know. But I know you guys were the thorn in our side for the longest time. And I know who we lost to in our 1990 10-1-1 season that ended with us beating Alabama in the Fiesta Bowl.

Kentucky may well lose even if they take you seriously and come to play. But I'm not sure they're humble enough to do that.

@NCAAFNation247 just tweeted today a prediction Kentucky goes 4-8 this year. No doubt they are betting on you.

Thanks for the well wishes. UL vastly improved it athletic programs because its AD had a vision and carried it out. USM while granted made facility upgrades, did not take advantage of the success in the 1990s that it could have to join a better conference. Following the Boise State route would have worked, but hindsight is 20/20. Maybe our latest AD will do that and get USM into the AAC. I was initially critical of the AAC, but last year they had four top 25 teams that received a lot of media coverage. The last few weeks of the season, the AAC had nationally televised games on ABC.

My concern about UK is that while they're not LSU, they still attract and have three and four star athletes. That in of itself plays into controlling the line of scrimmage, the run game(which SEC teams depend heavily on), etc. This will have to be mistake free football. I am glad that this game is at the beginning of the year at not at the middle or end.

If Southern Miss is still the hard nosed bust'em up team they were in the past when we used to play you guys, they UK is gonna get smashed. Kentucky is among the most undeservedly arrogant football programs out there, they believe that their conference affiliation makes them a better program.
UK will have no defense this season, their QB panics at the first sign of a pass rush and they have a propensity to quit. Should Southern Miss control UK's run game and prevent UK from achieving a lead they will win this game.
It's a shame how realignment has effected the Southern Miss program, always a program that earned more than ever received. Beat UK.
They aren't going to smash UK and a vast majority of our fan base arent arrogant. In fact most of our state doesn't care about football because again our state's culture is basketball. Also USM has had some pretty bad years and beating them doesn't actually mean that much. All in all beating UK in football doesn't mean anything because it's a garbage program that nobody cares about. Basketball is all that matters.

Thanks for the well wishes. UL vastly improved it athletic programs because its AD had a vision and carried it out. USM while granted made facility upgrades, did not take advantage of the success in the 1990s that it could have to join a better conference. Following the Boise State route would have worked, but hindsight is 20/20. Maybe our latest AD will do that and get USM into the AAC. I was initially critical of the AAC, but last year they had four top 25 teams that received a lot of media coverage. The last few weeks of the season, the AAC had nationally televised games on ABC.

My concern about UK is that while they're not LSU, they still attract and have three and four star athletes. That in of itself plays into controlling the line of scrimmage, the run game(which SEC teams depend heavily on), etc. This will have to be mistake free football. I am glad that this game is at the beginning of the year at not at the middle or end.
Getting wish you well wishes from Louisville when you play UK is a given. They hate us as much as we hate them in both football and basketball. You all will likely win, but UK isn't a SEC caliber team in football so beating them isn't exactly something to brag about in regards to beating an SEC team. In basketball it's the opposite they are the only SEC to brag about beating.

i wish UofL fans were as solid as their football program (to which i give a tip of the hat). I wouldn't take the word of a rival fan as to what the pulse of our fan base thinks.

strange to me that a UL fan would even be on the Southern Miss site when his team doesn't even play them.Watch this ghengis,, my first post. Oh and btw I as most UK fans have much respect for USM,, for the fans who follow the team north to Lex,, enjoy, I think/hope you will find the overwhelming majority of UK fans to be very hospitable and respectful! I hope we see a well played injury free game on both sides!

strange to me that a UL fan would even be on the Southern Miss site when his team doesn't even play them.Watch this ghengis,, my first post. Oh and btw I as most UK fans have much respect for USM,, for the fans who follow the team north to Lex,, enjoy, I think/hope you will find the overwhelming majority of UK fans to be very hospitable and respectful! I hope we see a well played injury free game on both sides!

Because we've played them 25 times, were in the same conference and often battling for the top spot? Dude, get out of here. USM and Louisville are family.

Reactions: JxCtyEagle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT