ADVERTISEMENT

24 point underdog at Nebraska

BR Eagle

Starter
Oct 31, 2002
Frankly, I thought it would be closer to 14, but we have yet to regain the respect we once had.

I'd take the points.

Nebraska has one of the worst defenses in the country. I will be upset if we don't score 4 TDs. Don't know if we can win up there, but we can give them a game. Three TDs seems like a big spread to me. We would have to have 2 or more turnovers to not cover the spread.

Nebraska has one of the worst defenses in the country. I will be upset if we don't score 4 TDs. Don't know if we can win up there, but we can give them a game. Three TDs seems like a big spread to me. We would have to have 2 or more turnovers to not cover the spread.
We have done it once before, we can do it again

What are you guys smoking. We are WAY out manned vs Nebraska. Their defense will crush our offensive line. Our QB will be running for his life the entire game. And as always, there will be gaping holes in our defense. They'll probably beat us by 30

What about ours?

What are you guys smoking. We are WAY out manned vs Nebraska. Their defense will crush our offensive line. Our QB will be running for his life the entire game. And as always, there will be gaping holes in our defense. They'll probably beat us by 30

youre and idiot no matter what board you post on.

This game is set up well for Southern Miss:

- Nebraska just lost their 2nd game in heartbreaking fashion, at the end of the game, in 3 weeks.
- Starting linebackers Mike Rose-Ivey and Josh Banderas are officially out.
- Starting WDE Jack Gangwish (aka the Racoon killer) is still out.
- Its an 11 am game, and the crowds for 11 am Non con games are often asleep.
- While Nebraska's offense is rather potent, their defense has been bad and can't stay healthy.

- Nebraska has played a very good schedule. Their opponents are 7-2 this season with a 1 point loss to UCLA by BYU and Southern Alabama's loss to the Huskers. While Southern Alabama is not as good as Southern Miss, they did go to San Diego State last week and win over a Mountain West Conference team.

- Nebraska's defense has faced 2 future NFL QBs already in Tanner Mangum from BYU and Brad Kaaya from Miami. Both players are potential 1st round QBs.
- Nebraska has also faced 6 future NFL receivers, 3 from BYU, 2 from Miami, 1 from South Alabama.
- The Huskers have been good against the run and terrible against the passing game, but they've also faced some big time offensive talent early on.
- Nebraska's skill talent is as good as they've had in 15 years.

- Nebraska is 1-2 and seems to be written off by a lot of Big Ten media and even a lot of their own fan base.
- I'm not much of a kool aid optimist, but I am a realist.
- I believe every team in the Big Ten West would be 1-2 with Nebraska's schedule and I still think Nebraska is the favorite to win the division. IMO, Nebraska is an 8-4 or 9-3 type team.

Can SOuthern Miss cover? They definitely have a great shot. Will they get a win like the 2004 game? Perhaps, but that was a really bad Nebraska team, arguably the worst of all time. This Nebraska team, even though they have a 1-2 record, is still a fringe top 25 caliber team.

- Nebraska just lost their 2nd game in heartbreaking fashion, at the end of the game, in 3 weeks.
- While Nebraska's offense is rather potent, their defense has been bad and can't stay healthy.

- Nebraska has played a very good schedule. Their opponents are 7-2 this season with a 1 point loss to UCLA by BYU and Southern Alabama's loss to the Huskers. While Southern Alabama is not as good as Southern Miss, they did go to San Diego State last week and win over a Mountain West Conference team.

- Nebraska's defense has faced 2 future NFL QBs already in Tanner Mangum from BYU and Brad Kaaya from Miami. Both players are potential 1st round QBs.
- Nebraska has also faced 6 future NFL receivers, 3 from BYU, 2 from Miami, 1 from South Alabama.
- The Huskers have been good against the run and terrible against the passing game, but they've also faced some big time offensive talent early on.

- Nebraska is 1-2 and seems to be written off by a lot of Big Ten media and even a lot of their own fan base.
- I believe every team in the Big Ten West would be 1-2 with Nebraska's schedule and I still think Nebraska is the favorite to win the division. IMO, Nebraska is an 8-4 or 9-3 type team.

Can SOuthern Miss cover? They definitely have a great shot. Will they get a win like the 2004 game? Perhaps, but that was a really bad Nebraska team, arguably the worst of all time. This Nebraska team, even though they have a 1-2 record, is still a fringe top 25 caliber team.

In 1999, So Miss would have, should have won in Lincoln....held BR to 200 total yards, and managed to lose due to QB play....I'll be there Saturday with my Husker friends from Omaha, Papillion....

In 1999, So Miss would have, should have won in Lincoln....held BR to 200 total yards, and managed to lose due to QB play....I'll be there Saturday with my Husker friends from Omaha, Papillion....

I don't think that game is relevant. Back then, Southern Miss was a different animal. You guys had defenses on par with the best defensive teams in the country. Its actually quite amazing how Southern Miss went from being the best of the non BCS conference schools to a few years of destitution.

I don't think that game is relevant. Back then, Southern Miss was a different animal. You guys had defenses on par with the best defensive teams in the country. Its actually quite amazing how Southern Miss went from being the best of the non BCS conference schools to a few years of destitution.

Direct result of having an athletics director with no vision for the future beyond CUSA and then making quite possibly the worst coaching hire in history.

let us not forget USM played a much more talented MSU team pretty tough. An MSU team much better than Nebraska.

The odds may be against USM but if anything this college football season has produced so far is upsets. Parity is not the best word for the 2015 season yet but seeing Toledo beat Arkansas and Jacksonville St taking Auburn into overtime, La Tech and K-State taking 3 OT's to settle, Furman beating UCF...etc....begs one to consider the possibilities in any game this season. Despite the record, Nebraska is still a very good team but I would not say that they are elite or to put it another way, they will not be competitive against Ohio State or Michigan State.

I look for another good game out of USM. We played well against Msstake, not well enough obviously but competitive. I think this team has risen to the occasion so far. Msstake and Nebraska are very similar in talent on both sides of the ball. I am certain that USM will not be intimidated and play determined. I can't say that that will be enough but stranger things have happened this year......

Reactions: Lmul248270
let us not forget USM played a much more talented MSU team pretty tough. An MSU team much better than Nebraska.

According to most computer ratings, and anyone with eyeballs Nebraska has a superior offense and more offensive talent than Miss State. Also according to Massey Ratings, MS State would be about a 1 point favorite over Nebraska in a Neutral Site game.

The Bulldogs have a more talented and deeper defense than Nebraska. But Nebraska's offense is much better when you look at results and recruiting rankings.

The odds may be against USM but if anything this college football season has produced so far is upsets. Parity is not the best word for the 2015 season yet but seeing Toledo beat Arkansas and Jacksonville St taking Auburn into overtime, La Tech and K-State taking 3 OT's to settle, Furman beating UCF...etc....begs one to consider the possibilities in any game this season. Despite the record, Nebraska is still a very good team but I would not say that they are elite or to put it another way, they will not be competitive against Ohio State or Michigan State.

I look for another good game out of USM. We played well against Msstake, not well enough obviously but competitive. I think this team has risen to the occasion so far. Msstake and Nebraska are very similar in talent on both sides of the ball. I am certain that USM will not be intimidated and play determined. I can't say that that will be enough but stranger things have happened this year......

Considering Nebraska lost by 5 points at Michigan State last season, and gets the Spartans under the lights in Lincoln in November, I would argue that will be a close game for 4 quarters. Nebraska doesn't have Ohio State on the schedule.

Nobody is saying Nebraska is elite... not even close. But Nebraska at home in late November, in Primetime will be very tough to beat.

Well, I have been around for awhile, and have followed NCAA football since I was a little boy. I say Nebraska and it's program is elite, and I would consider them in the top 5 of all time in football. A win over Nebraska is great no matter what kind of year they are having. I used to love watching some of the classic Nebraska/Oklahoma games of the past, especially when Johnny Rodgers played there.

I'll never forget Tommy Frazier breaking all of those UF tackles back in '96. Seems to me that NU changed with the Callahan hire and tried again with Pelini, but getting them back to the Osborne days has been tough. Not taking away anything from them, but they have been working on getting back to that truly elite status.

Point is, we have been relevant before, and we intend to be again...if I recall, the Huskers were rather stout back then as well....the 1999 game is a sore subject with So Miss Fans and Alums....given Nebraska's status in 1999 as a Top 5 program, we went toe-to-toe with them for 4 quarters and managed to let the Huskers off of the hook....when the gun sounded, my Walkman (1999) managed to end up in 1,000 pieces....

Point is, we have been relevant before, and we intend to be again...if I recall, the Huskers were rather stout back then as well....the 1999 game is a sore subject with So Miss Fans and Alums....given Nebraska's status in 1999 as a Top 5 program, we went toe-to-toe with them for 4 quarters and managed to let the Huskers off of the hook....when the gun sounded, my Walkman (1999) managed to end up in 1,000 pieces....
I hope you have refined your anger management skills in the last 16 years since smart phones nowadays cost a lot more than Walkmans. A close Nebraska win Saturday will be OK with me, but will be somewhat tarnished if I find out people all over Mississippi smashed their personal electronic devices.

You said Walkman

Good posts here. I always enjoy talking to Eagles fans before our games. You guys tend to be reasonable and knowledgeable about the game and the smack talk is generally good fun.

Hope we see a good, injury free game.

Good luck, regardless of the outcome, in the future!

Reactions: O.G. Eagle

A post that deserves to be re-read. Did you bet on Nebraska and take the points, Head Eagle?

Why do that? Because I post an opinion of which basically falls in line with Vegas odds makers and virtually all of college footballs best analysts? I HOPE I'm completely wrong but.....

You were completely wrong, as well as Vegas and virtually all of college footballs best analysts.....

Vegas sets spreads to get the amount bet on either side as equal as possible, not on the outcome of the game. It is an indication of the betting public as to the expected outcome....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT