ADVERTISEMENT

Will Berry survive?

eagleboy415

BGN Pro Poster
Dec 19, 2007
Another year, another missed opportunity. We obviously have talent, but the coaching has been suspect all but one year under Berry and even that year we fell apart at the end. Will Berry's hot seat finally burn?

Personally, I just think that with the talent we have and the players in this area, we should be in a Regional every year competing to host it. This shouldn't be a rare occurrence at Southern Miss, but it seems that just going out and getting a participation trophy has become the norm for us the past few years in every sport. I'm tired of it. We didn't do a national search last time and it has bitten us. Berry refuses to change any staff to fix problems and USM has been the one to take the fall. I'm ready to be back in postseason and I'm ready to win something. I'm sick of mediocrity around our baseball program.

So does Berry make it out of this after four years straight of no regional?

I am glad they got it together at the end of the season, but an easy schedule (like the Oakland series and new CrapUSA teams) and an awful start doomed us. Plus it is getting hard and harder to recruit in baseball. SEC schools are building baseball palaces.

Another year, another missed opportunity. We obviously have talent, but the coaching has been suspect all but one year under Berry and even that year we fell apart at the end. Will Berry's hot seat finally burn?

Personally, I just think that with the talent we have and the players in this area, we should be in a Regional every year competing to host it. This shouldn't be a rare occurrence at Southern Miss, but it seems that just going out and getting a participation trophy has become the norm for us the past few years in every sport. I'm tired of it. We didn't do a national search last time and it has bitten us. Berry refuses to change any staff to fix problems and USM has been the one to take the fall. I'm ready to be back in postseason and I'm ready to win something. I'm sick of mediocrity around our baseball program.

So does Berry make it out of this after four years straight of no regional?
Berry inherited a program with seven straight regionals and a CWS appearance. After six seasons he has sent the program back twenty years, when we were just hoping to make a regional once in our lifetime. This program has become stale and Berry needs to go.
There are no excuses for missing the regionals four years in a row. We have the facilities, fan support, and location. Your seasons are judged on whether or not you are worthy of an at-large bid to a regional. Only ONE of his SIX seasons have been worthy, which means he has failed over 83% of the time.
Who in their right mind would extend the contract of somebody with that rate of failure? The answer is USM and their Athletic Dept.
Berry sacrificed the well being of the baseball program to save himself by the atrocious schedule he set up. We dropped a great annual weekend series with ULL for a 10 win Oakland team(how did that turn out?). Anybody remember the SIU-Edwardsville disaster from before?
If his contract is up, now is the time to let him go. There are hungry, qualified candidates out there that would love the opportunity to take over the baseball program at USM and everything that it has to offer for less money than Berry makes now.
This program needs a new direction. Now is the time to start fresh. I think that anybody who has followed Southern Miss Athletics for more than 10 minutes knows that Berry will probadly still be the coach in the future because our AD and Athletic Dept. just don't care.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT