ADVERTISEMENT

Why don't Mississippi universities have their own BOT?

Houston Eagle

BGN Pro Poster
Aug 11, 2005
OM still pull the strings in Jackson, and there were many that didn't like the College Board firing their Chancellor. I also clearly remember when the College Board ad hoc fired Horace Fleming in 2001. Thoughts?

I think it's dumb why would we want people from other universities to make decisions for ours. Does the people from from ole miss and state really have our best interest in mind I don't think so. They give us the winner of the gay and lesbian achievement award as a president. What experience did this guy have to become president here.

Honestly the IHL system isn't far off from the system in place in Georgia where there is one university system that runs somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30 institutions (including UGA, Ga Tech, both GSUs and Kennesaw State). Granted some of the schools in the USG have been merged in recent years, but that is as much a financial issue (at its peak, there were about 35 schools in the USG after all).

The difference is that Mississippi has one board for the universities and another for the community / junior colleges. In Georgia, the small two-year schools and the universities, as well as the state archives, are all compiled in the USG while only the technical school system is separate.

If anything, I think Mississippi should merge the IHL and community college systems.

Originally posted by angrybirds:
I think it's dumb why would we want people from other universities to make decisions for ours. Does the people from from ole miss and state really have our best interest in mind I don't think so. They give us the winner of the gay and lesbian achievement award as a president. What experience did this guy have to become president here.
Higher education, indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT