ADVERTISEMENT

THIS IS WHY I LOVE USM!!!!!!!

Eagle_Kos

Starter
Dec 30, 2008
Academics-

“The New York Times Book Review rates the University's Center for Writers as one of the Top 10 in the country”

“Polymer Science and Engineering department is consistently ranked among the nation's top 10 by U.S. News and World Report.”

“One of only a 12 universities in America, to hold accreditation in all four fine arts emphasis areas (art, dance, theatre and music).”

“The school of Communications is ranked among the top ten programs in the nation, according to the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication.”

“Southern Miss is one of only thirty percent of business schools in the nation accredited by the AACSB International Association for Management Education.”

“Southern Miss holds a "Carnegie Doctoral Research Extensive" designation.”

“Has a research endowment of over $160 million, and a Foundation endowment of $88 million”

“USM ranks highly in the college rankings developed by Washington Monthly, a persistent critic of the U.S. News and World Report rankings. In these rankings, which attempt to make a more holistic assessment of an institution's value, USM ranks 98th out of 245 doctoral institutions. This is the highest ranking of any school in Mississippi. A January 2006 college ranking list created by a graduate student at Stanford University based on Google hits also ranks Southern Miss rather high- 62nd out of over 1700 U.S. institutions.”

A new Gulf Coast Campus for the University. It will be 1,700 acres, and accommodate 12,000 students. It is split up between 3 phases. The first phase estimated to cost $96 million, and the next two phases to cost between $80 and $90 million. Total cost of roughly $280 million. This has already been approved by the IHL (state governing board) and the land purchased.

http://www.mississippi.edu/gulfcoast/downloads/eley_associates_081120.pdf

Hattiesburg Campus Master Campus Facility Plan. This has already been approved by the IHL (state governing board) and work on several projects underway, including the new Century Park Resident Dorm Project ($45 million), a new parking garage ($15 million). Construction already financed and will begin soon on: the demolition of 3 old dorms and building of one 950 bed dorm ($50 million), a new business school building ($21 million), New Nursing School Building, and On campus Hotel. This does not include all the new building recently built in last 3 years, including the new Sority Village, and the New Trent Lott Center.

http://projects.sasaki.com/usm/Documents/FinalUSMPresentation.pdf

That’s close to $500 million on campus improvement. With much more to come.

Athletics-

* The University has invested $67 million in facility upgrades since 1999 which include -

a) South End Zone expansion at Carlisle-Faulkner Field at Roberts Stadium (34 suites and a 336-seat club area), as well as a new East side club level section that seats 518 fans, new videoboard; and artificial playing surface.
b) Renovation of Reed Green Coliseum that includes the expansion of the school's basketball training complex.
c) Completed a state-of-the-art press box and 12 suites at Pete Taylor Park baseball facility, along with a new scoreboard.
d) Construction of new 1,500-seat softball grandstand and press box at the USM Softball Complex.
e) Building of a new 12-court tennis complex just off of campus.
f) Construction of 60,000-square foot Athletic Center which houses the football staff, locker room, training room, strength and conditioning area, team rooms as well as other sport and administrative offices.

* Football, which enters its 94th season in 2010, has had 65 winning campaigns including a current string of 16-straight winning years. The school is one of just four institutions in the FBS to have captured that many consecutive winning seasons, just behind Florida State (33), Florida (22) and Virginia Tech (17).

* Twenty postseason bowl appearances highlight the school's success, including a current string of eight-straight berths and 12 in the last 13 years.

* The Golden Eagles are 4-2 at home against BCS Automatic Qualifying Conference schools since 2001.

* The school has won four league championships in football since Conference USA's inception in 1996.

* Attendance is at an all-time high, as the school drew a record 184,178 fans through the turnstiles last season as well as an average of 30,696 per contest. It was the second-straight season Southern Miss drew over 30,000 fans per game in the 36,000-seat facility and third-best in Conference USA

* Recognized by the American Football Coaches Association in 2009 as one of nine FBS institutions to achieve a graduation rate of 90 percent or better including Alabama, Boston College, Connecticut, Duke, Navy, Northwestern, Penn State and Rice.

* Baseball has enjoyed seven-straight NCAA Regionals berths, including its first appearance at the College World Series in 2009.

* Men's Basketball has reached the NCAA Tournament twice and the National Invitational Tournament eight times including one championship.

* Women's Basketball enjoyed back-to-back 20-win seasons and has been to the postseason 11 times, including eight NCAA Tournament appearances and three NIT berths.

* The Softball program reached the Women's College World Series twice and has gone to the NCAA Tournament three times over the last 12 seasons.

* Volleyball has won a Conference USA regular season title.

* Southern Miss has had 15 ESPN The Magazine's Academic All-Americans and 17 Conference USA Scholar-Athletes of the Year.

* The school was recognized with a Halbrook Award for its men's program among all Mississippi public universities for outstanding academic achievement and graduation rates for student-athletes during the 2008-09 academic year. This was the seventh time the men's program captured the award and the sixth consecutive time they were honored as it is administered by the Mississippi Association of Colleges. The women's program has won the award once. The award was established in 1995.

* Since 1996, the Golden Eagles football team has been televised 60.3 percent of the time including nine times during the 2009 season.

DMA-

And the Big East People like to talk all this smack about our small DMA. Well Southern Miss is a DUAL-CAMPUS university. Wouldn't it make sense to include the DMA's of both campus. So our DMA could realistically be Hattiesburg/Gulfport/Biloxi combined which is 629,000 people. On up there and well above what should qualifiy concerning DMA. Just saying.

Reactions: BirminghamEagle
Post of the year! Great job putting that together. After reading so much from our own fans about our negatives, its refreshing to see that there are so many positives.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Was about to say the same thing Legendary (scary...been agreeing with you alot lately haha).

Alot of the negativity that spawns during the offseason can really get ya down at times. Posts like these always bring my spirits up and remind me why I love this University so much. SMTTF'nT

I agree Kos. That is the info we need to put out in the public. Great job KOS!

I really think you should copy and paste it to that link. Its a whole lotta ECU and Memphis love over there right now.

Don't have a log in and don't really have time to get one at work right now.

But if anyone else has one, feel free to post it!!!!

Bravo. Thank you for shedding light where some of "our own" refuse to look.

Best post of the decade. You showed em how it's done. Took em to school on to take up for your school. Set, game, and match!

I just had a tingle go up my leg.
This post was edited on 5/26 5:08 PM by Simon Eagle

What does all of this spell out to the average Male College Student?
LADIES! When I was at the University, (85-89) the ratio of Male to Female was 5-1. Gotta love those numbers! SMTTT!

When my Sales territory covered Miss., I loved carrying out-of-state Reps onto Campus during the spring to showcase my Alma Mater. Stategically stand near the Commons at Noon, and watch the reaction. Priceless.

Gulfcoast Eagle, I think you meant the ratio of females to males was 5-1...not the other way around. 5 females to every one male, nice!! 5 males to every one female, not so nice....unless we were living in the days of concubines. hahaha. Anyways, we know what you were trying to say. Go Eagles!

These reasons and so many more are why I love every day at Southern Miss. I'm going to miss when it's all said and done. Everyday is a great day to be a Golden Eagle! SMTTf'nT!

Love this post! We have a lot to be proud of. I love it when these other schools try and put down on us. I like to ask them how many Super Bowl rings their players have - how many times they have had alumni on the cover of SI - How many MVP's? This usually ends the conversation with the braggers!

Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Add to that one of the most important assets for USM - it's people. I visited the campus along with other schools as a high school senior and the people sold me. It was the warmest friendliest school around. My son did the same 5 years ago and he could not believe how friendly everyone was. I have visited on many campus over the years and we have the best people in the nation. And I know I don't even have to mention the prettiest females. I was fortunate that one decided to spend the rest of her life with me and my life has been truely blessed.

Originally posted by Eagle215:
Gulfcoast Eagle, I think you meant the ratio of females to males was 5-1...not the other way around. 5 females to every one male, nice!! 5 males to every one female, not so nice....unless we were living in the days of concubines. hahaha. Anyways, we know what you were trying to say. Go Eagles!

Thanks for setting me straight........

Would love to see the University mention these in a series of commercials and billboards. I don't think we publicize these great accomplishments nearly enough.

Originally posted by Eagle_Kos:
Academics-

“The New York Times Book Review rates the University's Center for Writers as one of the Top 10 in the country”

“Polymer Science and Engineering department is consistently ranked among the nation's top 10 by U.S. News and World Report.”

“One of only a 12 universities in America, to hold accreditation in all four fine arts emphasis areas (art, dance, theatre and music).”

“The school of Communications is ranked among the top ten programs in the nation, according to the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication.”

“Southern Miss is one of only thirty percent of business schools in the nation accredited by the AACSB International Association for Management Education.”

“Southern Miss holds a "Carnegie Doctoral Research Extensive" designation.”

“Has a research endowment of over $160 million, and a Foundation endowment of $88 million”

“USM ranks highly in the college rankings developed by Washington Monthly, a persistent critic of the U.S. News and World Report rankings. In these rankings, which attempt to make a more holistic assessment of an institution's value, USM ranks 98th out of 245 doctoral institutions. This is the highest ranking of any school in Mississippi. A January 2006 college ranking list created by a graduate student at Stanford University based on Google hits also ranks Southern Miss rather high- 62nd out of over 1700 U.S. institutions.”

A new Gulf Coast Campus for the University. It will be 1,700 acres, and accommodate 12,000 students. It is split up between 3 phases. The first phase estimated to cost $96 million, and the next two phases to cost between $80 and $90 million. Total cost of roughly $280 million. This has already been approved by the IHL (state governing board) and the land purchased.

http://www.mississippi.edu/gulfcoast/downloads/eley_associates_081120.pdf

Hattiesburg Campus Master Campus Facility Plan. This has already been approved by the IHL (state governing board) and work on several projects underway, including the new Century Park Resident Dorm Project ($45 million), a new parking garage ($15 million). Construction already financed and will begin soon on: the demolition of 3 old dorms and building of one 950 bed dorm ($50 million), a new business school building ($21 million), New Nursing School Building, and On campus Hotel. This does not include all the new building recently built in last 3 years, including the new Sority Village, and the New Trent Lott Center.

http://projects.sasaki.com/usm/Documents/FinalUSMPresentation.pdf

That’s close to $500 million on campus improvement. With much more to come.

Athletics-

* The University has invested $67 million in facility upgrades since 1999 which include -

a) South End Zone expansion at Carlisle-Faulkner Field at Roberts Stadium (34 suites and a 336-seat club area), as well as a new East side club level section that seats 518 fans, new videoboard; and artificial playing surface.
b) Renovation of Reed Green Coliseum that includes the expansion of the school's basketball training complex.
c) Completed a state-of-the-art press box and 12 suites at Pete Taylor Park baseball facility, along with a new scoreboard.
d) Construction of new 1,500-seat softball grandstand and press box at the USM Softball Complex.
e) Building of a new 12-court tennis complex just off of campus.
f) Construction of 60,000-square foot Athletic Center which houses the football staff, locker room, training room, strength and conditioning area, team rooms as well as other sport and administrative offices.

* Football, which enters its 94th season in 2010, has had 65 winning campaigns including a current string of 16-straight winning years. The school is one of just four institutions in the FBS to have captured that many consecutive winning seasons, just behind Florida State (33), Florida (22) and Virginia Tech (17).

* Twenty postseason bowl appearances highlight the school's success, including a current string of eight-straight berths and 12 in the last 13 years.

* The Golden Eagles are 4-2 at home against BCS Automatic Qualifying Conference schools since 2001.

* The school has won four league championships in football since Conference USA's inception in 1996.

* Attendance is at an all-time high, as the school drew a record 184,178 fans through the turnstiles last season as well as an average of 30,696 per contest. It was the second-straight season Southern Miss drew over 30,000 fans per game in the 36,000-seat facility and third-best in Conference USA

* Recognized by the American Football Coaches Association in 2009 as one of nine FBS institutions to achieve a graduation rate of 90 percent or better including Alabama, Boston College, Connecticut, Duke, Navy, Northwestern, Penn State and Rice.

* Baseball has enjoyed seven-straight NCAA Regionals berths, including its first appearance at the College World Series in 2009.

* Men's Basketball has reached the NCAA Tournament twice and the National Invitational Tournament eight times including one championship.

* Women's Basketball enjoyed back-to-back 20-win seasons and has been to the postseason 11 times, including eight NCAA Tournament appearances and three NIT berths.

* The Softball program reached the Women's College World Series twice and has gone to the NCAA Tournament three times over the last 12 seasons.

* Volleyball has won a Conference USA regular season title.

* Southern Miss has had 15 ESPN The Magazine's Academic All-Americans and 17 Conference USA Scholar-Athletes of the Year.

* The school was recognized with a Halbrook Award for its men's program among all Mississippi public universities for outstanding academic achievement and graduation rates for student-athletes during the 2008-09 academic year. This was the seventh time the men's program captured the award and the sixth consecutive time they were honored as it is administered by the Mississippi Association of Colleges. The women's program has won the award once. The award was established in 1995.

* Since 1996, the Golden Eagles football team has been televised 60.3 percent of the time including nine times during the 2009 season.

DMA-

And the Big East People like to talk all this smack about our small DMA. Well Southern Miss is a DUAL-CAMPUS university. Wouldn't it make sense to include the DMA's of both campus. So our DMA could realistically be Hattiesburg/Gulfport/Biloxi combined which is 629,000 people. On up there and well above what should qualifiy concerning DMA. Just saying.

I have connections to USM, and I am glad to see Southern Miss advancing. Go Eagles, except against my Gamecocks!

Hey Big Whit... living on the West Coast here so I do not hear everything Southern Miss and Mississippi Politics. What will it take or is it possible for Southern Miss to ever get a Medical School?

I can remember years when our ENTIRE SPORTS PROGRAMS combined costs did not exceed Alabama's football budget! It probably still holds true. Yet we are competitive and at times victorious over the years. That is a tribute to those who run our program! SMTTT!

Tampa My brother in law is a supervisor project manager of construction of a large hotel going up in Tampa. He graduated from USM. He work's for Beard construction at the Atlanta office. He lives down there until the job is finished.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT