ADVERTISEMENT

The original Big 8 in MS highschool football...

InsuranceEagle

BGN Pro Poster
Jan 25, 2006
Reading the Hartzog thread about Gulfport I started thinking about the old Mississippi Big 8. It was a great conference and had tremendous rival games including the 'little brown jug' battle between Laurel and Hattiesburg. I remember the Brick in Laurel being packed to the rafters when Hattiesburg would come to town. Good ole days in highschool football for sure.

Was the original Big 8: Laurel, Hattiesburg, Meridian, Gulfport, Biloxi, Jackson Murrah, Greenville and Greenwood? I'm not really sure.

If one of the Jackson schools was included, it would have to have been Central. It was the first high school in Jxn until sometimes in the late 50's. I don't know definitely, but I don't think it included any schools north of Jxn. I'm thinking maybe McComb and Brookhaven instead of G'ville and G'wood(?). Anyone know defintely? How 'bout it Tee??

I do not remember who the charter members were, but the Coastal Big 8 was Gulfport, Gulfport East, Biloxi, Moss Point, Pascagoula and Meridian. The Central was Hattiesburg, Laurel, South Natchez, North Natchez and McComb. The Capital were the Jackson Schools, Murrah, Jim Hill, Wingfield, Callaway and Provine and the North was Yazoo City, Greenwood, Greenville and Clarksdale. I might have missed one on the north, not sure.

I'm From The Bay And....

...the old Gulf Coast Conference was good also. Stone, Ocean Springs, etc. I remember going to a Biloxi game when they had Art Cantrelle and it seemed they had more players than Bay High had students. Those were good days in Ms. high school football. Gulfport was good every year.

This reminds me, and maybe some of you guys know....

I was visiting with a friend down on the coast and his neighbor was apparently a HS coach back in the day at St. Martin. Few beers into watching Sunday night football, he's going on and on about how good they used to be but I tried finding their history to no avail.

Anyone ever remember a St. Martin hey-day?

The original Big 8 was, Hattiesburg,Laurel,McComb,Brookhaven,Jackson Central,Meridian,Biloxi, and Gulfport.

dont know who was in original but in early sixties south big eight included Moss Point, Pascagoula, Biloxi, Gulfport, Picayune, Hattiesburg, Laurel, Brookhaven, Columbia, and Jackson Provine.

When I was at Moss Point in the 70's, the South was Moss Point, Pascagoula, Biloxi, Gulfport, Gulfport East, Hattiesburg, Laurel and Meridian. Picayune, McComb and Brookhaven were in with South Natchez, Vicksburg and some Jackson schools.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

St Martin hasn't had a "hey-day" in at least 30 years.

I don't think they have much history to speak of...
This post was edited on 10/21 4:47 PM by GeauxEagles

KickingTee is correct. And if I'm not mistaken Laurel won a couple/few Big 8 championships. Go Tornados!

Originally posted by GeauxEagles:
St Martin hasn't had a "hey-day" in at least 30 years.

I don't think they have much history to speak of...

This post was edited on 10/21 4:47 PM by GeauxEagles

Just talked to my buddy. Lanny was right. It was St. John's I was thinking of.

Coastal Eagle, when I was in school, the only schools from Jackson I remember were Murrah, Central and Provine. The other schools came after.

In the 70's it was as follows:

South Division: Gulfport, Gulfport East, Biloxi, Moss Point, Pascagoula and Meridian

Central Division: Hattiesburg, Laurel, South Natchez, North Natchez and McComb

Capital Division: Provine, Murrah, Callaway, Wingfield and Jim Hill

North Division: Yazoo City, Vicksburg, Greenwood, Greenville and I think Clarksdale, that last team is the only one I am not sure of

Coastal Division was always the hardest one to win as you had the traditional coastal teams plus Meridian.

Lance Alworth was from Brookhaven. Right? Went to Arkansas and played for the Chargers many years. NFL Hall of Fame, I think.

GO EAGLES!!!! BEAT BLAZERS!!!!

Vx is right, Lance Alworth was from Brookhaven. His nickname was "Bambi" He was also a great track star. His biggest rivalry was Scotty Hargrove from Hattiesburg High, who later went to star for the Missouri Tigers.

I remember, Vaught at Ole Miss was going to give Lance a scholarship, but he was married and Vaught didnt want married players on his team.

Hey Tee, gotta argue with you on Lance Alworth's biggest rival.

McComb was the school rival and Louis Guy (went on to be an AA at OM) from McComb was the biggest individual rival. McComb and Brookhaven played their games on Thanksgiving to sell out crowds. The loser of that game had a bad season despite their record the rest of the year. Those schools were pretty dominant in the S Big 8 for several years and both sent many players on to play college sports.

That's my story and I am sticking to it (whether it's right or wrong).

Hope to see you soon.

3dgrin.gif
You make a good point Greenie. I was basing it on track. Alworth and Hargrove were 1 and 2 in the 100.

Originally posted by InsuranceEagle:
Reading the Hartzog thread about Gulfport I started thinking about the old Mississippi Big 8. It was a great conference and had tremendous rival games including the 'little brown jug' battle between Laurel and Hattiesburg. I remember the Brick in Laurel being packed to the rafters when Hattiesburg would come to town. Good ole days in highschool football for sure.

Was the original Big 8: Laurel, Hattiesburg, Meridian, Gulfport, Biloxi, Jackson Murrah, Greenville and Greenwood? I'm not really sure.

Jackson Central not Murrah. Murrah and Provine weren't opened yet when they formed the conference. Central is closed now and is a State Office Bldg.

Not sure about Greenville and Greenwood. For some reason I want to say that Columbus may have been an original member.

Re: I'm From The Bay And....

Originally posted by BayRat 71:
...the old Gulf Coast Conference was good also. Stone, Ocean Springs, etc. I remember going to a Biloxi game when they had Art Cantrelle and it seemed they had more players than Bay High had students. Those were good days in Ms. high school football. Gulfport was good every year.

I was at Biloxi High from 66-67 through 68-69. Art was there my junior year. During that time Biloxi dressed right at 100 players for home games.

Lanny, I appreciate the mention in the thread about my St. John Eagles. But, i just wanted to correct something since they are tearing it down now but, there was not an 's on the end.

And you, sir, are totally unaware of reality. Been to Jackson, MS lately? I suggest you go to Provine or Callaway some Friday night and enjoy yourself. Better yet, go downtown on Capitol St. and stroll along after dark.
Cb
This post was edited on 10/22 7:25 AM by Clawedballs
This post was edited on 10/22 7:28 AM by Clawedballs

Yes I have been there, and some other larger cities in the South, Midwest and East Coast and unlike you I realize the true reality which is race is not the reason for the problems....poverty regardless of race is the problem.

No comments on that, but I do remember all to well having to play Moss Point early in the year at Dantzler Stadium and once the lights were turned on it was like a scene from Apocalypse now with droves of huge mosquitoes and dragon flies coming in off the lake.

How about you go walk around the all white community of Baxterville at night and tell me just how safe you feel.. He makes racist remarks all the time and nobody picks up on them. I'm glad others finally did this time. No room for this around here. There's a school up north that will welcome you with open arms if this is the way you want to act.

I work at the city of Jackson and have for the last 6 years. I have never

felt threatened coming to and from work nor while at work. I have left this building on President Street as late as 3 a.m. while working on the budget. I am one of only 3 white people on the 6th floor of the bldg and we have a very harmonious relationship, very cordial atmosphere. I just wanted to say that to discount the notion that downtown Jackson is a bad place. Phillip Causey.

Not sure about these days, but I do remember going to a little blues bar downtown called the subway back when I was at the Medical School and never felt threatened there. Well, I do admit paying the guys 5 dollars to watch my car though LOL.

a very popular place now is the 119 club which is at 119 South President St

it is a blues club, very popular place apparently I have never been there but a friend of mine calls me from there wanting to get me to come join her and her date, they go there regularly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT