ADVERTISEMENT

Mississippi finally, officially, ratifies 13th Amendment

Lee2000

Key Reserve
Feb 5, 2003
This has been in the news and yes, it is another black eye on the state. Supposedly, Mississippi voted to ratify the 13th Amendment in 1995 or 96 I believe, and just didn't send in the paperwork with the National Archives (as a reference point, the 13th amendment abolishes slavery). So almost 150 years later we do it. I have read the jokes online from folks outside the state and they are not funny. I am tired of this kind of media attention on the actions of a few folks. I don't want this to be a reflection of our state, who recently had its leadership referred to as "hissing possums".
I know many of you take pride in telling folks outside the state where to go, but I really want the state to show leadership in something good. I have a thick skin, and outside opinion will not take my pride away from being a Mississippian. But as I said, I want this state to take some positive leadership, whatever that might be.

This post was edited on 2/18 5:33 PM by Lee2000

This post was edited on 2/18 5:37 PM by Lee2000

I know how you feel sir, and agree with your intent. I believe we can point with great pride at our new President. It must say a lot to the rest of the US. The best part is, he got it on merit. ...Black/ Gold

The sad thing is instead of anyone taking this as a positive, they just take it as an opportunity to make fun of Mississippi. They are stereotyping people who live in Mississippi. The same thing they always accuse Mississippi of.

Yes he did get it on merit,and that is a positive thing. And now that the whole 13th Amendment is a done deal, we can move on to better things in Mississippi.

Originally posted by Lee2000:

Yes he did get it on merit,and that is a positive thing. And now that the whole 13th Amendment is a done deal, we can move on to better things in Mississippi.
CNN/ MSNB still running crap on how racist we all are down here. Days after this passes. They will never let us move on to other things. We pass this bill and they call us racist for it. Go figure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT