ADVERTISEMENT

Looks Like There Might Be A New U S House Member....

his bio says a bs from 2lane and a mba from us. Likely coast campus. I cant ever remimber him doing anything for us. Lott did plenty when he had that house seat.

Its a big win for the university. Now we need to take the Gov mansion in 2012.

It backs up somthing that Dr Joe Paul said when he addressed a group of high school students a few weeks ago.

You can get anywhere you want to from Southern Miss.

Wonderful news!!! My parents and sisters live in his district. Glad to see a pickup for the GOP.

Also, good for us here in Alabama out of 6 House seats 3 stayed GOP, 2 flipped from Democrats to GOP. Also, first time in 136 years the GOP won control of the State Legislature in Alabama.
This post was edited on 11/3 12:28 AM by BirminghamEagle

obvioisly none of you know much about this race.....palazzo will do no favors for this state or our university. Taylor voted as often with republicans as he did dems...and did a lot for this area. we just lost a lot of clout in the house and gain nothing by replacing him but an allegiance to big out of state money...

Originally posted by smokewrings:
obvioisly none of you know much about this race

It was this same arrogance that just cost Taylor his seat and the Democrats the House.

All I'm gonna say is that I don't know how he will do, but I am giving him a chance to see if he can (A) backup his talk and make a difference in the Gulf Coast & Pine Belt, and (B) if he is gonna be an honest politician? Can he backup his talk? All I saw from him online was "Fire Pelosi" ads, so I don't know his real motives for being in the House (I don't have direct access to ABC 13, FOX 25, CBS 22, NBC 7 like most of you).

Originally posted by smokewrings:
obvioisly none of you know much about this race.....palazzo will do no favors for this state or our university. Taylor voted as often with republicans as he did dems...and did a lot for this area. we just lost a lot of clout in the house and gain nothing by replacing him but an allegiance to big out of state money...
You guys need to wake up. We get the same old thing whether the politician is a dem or rep. We need a new party, period. We need a new breed of politician who isn't interested in making politics a career. That's the way our Founding Fathers wanted it to be.
This post was edited on 11/3 12:29 AM by ArmyEagle

Originally posted by ArmyEagle:
We need a new breed of politician who isn't interested in making politics a career.
Unfortunately, that will never happen. Too much money involved.

Personally I will take a USM Republican House Member in a Republican controlled House anytime. P will do an excellent job--smart young guy who loves Southern Miss and will represent the state and university well.

Taylor had 21 years to make a difference yet he never held a full committee chairmanship (to my knowledge)--only chair of a small subcommittee. He showed (me) little interest outside the military. Under the Republicans he would have had zero power. Had numerous meetings with Taylor over the years and was never impressed. Am sure he is a good person and I appreciate his service to the country, but believe we have done better--and the timing is perfect with a overwhelming Republican House.

That's my "opinion"!

Palazzo/USM TTT.
This post was edited on 11/3 7:21 AM by Greenwood Eagle

I used to vote for the individual...no more!

Not when they go to counting votes and their leader (Pelosi of Reid) applies pressure to them to provide a crucial swing vote and 9 out of 10 times they get it. A vote for a Dem was a vote for Pelosi or Reid! Screw that!

Originally posted by Greenwood Eagle:
Under the Republicans he would have had zero power.
This post was edited on 11/3 7:21 AM by Greenwood Eagle

This was the key that many are missing. Taylor's minor influence would have become virtually zero influence once his party lost power (which was inevitable.) I do feel that Taylor's voting record was awfully misconstrued throughout this process, but I guess that's just politics these days. Palazzo will have every opportunity to pick up Taylor's seat on the same few subcommittees he sat on. Thus the influence lost is partially mitigated, if Palazzo so chooses to participate.
This post was edited on 11/3 10:41 AM by eaglexcellence

(B) if he is gonna be an honest politician?

Now that is an oxy-moron if I ever heard one.....no matter which party you support!
eek.gif

I've always wanted to ask Gene Taylor why he insisted on remaining in the Democrat party when he was basically a conservative. He had a chance to switch parties when the winds of change started blowing, but chose to play it safe. He would have probably retained his seat as a Republican. He's now living with that choice.
Cb

He voted conservative only after the dems were assured their votes.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Well ever since the Palazzo's dad stiffed my uncles marble company. Plus, i have always been a taylor fan he has done a great deal for the coast. I am from there so i am a bit bias. After Katrina me and my dad were in the middle of 603(Kiln). Mr. Taylor pulled up about to launch his boat to go and help people that were stranded.

The commentators on TV last night seem shocked that Taylor refused to be gracious and congratulate Palazzo. But it was typical of him, wasn't it?
A do nothing blow hard trumpeting himself all the way to the end. Palazzo may not be what we need, but he could not possibly be more irrelevant, useless, and inept than Taylor was all these years.

I voted third party...Libertarian in protest of the ugly mean-spiritedness of this whole race. Palazzo ran almost totally 100% negative and told us very little of himself. Why would one wish to hire a guy without a resume ?
tongue.gif
Last night in his victory speech, he promised to "fire Nancy Pelosi !" Duh? The party with the majority gets the Speaker of the House. Nancy Pelosi is out as speaker due to numbers, not Palazzo himself. When Steven takes office, this won't be an issue.
Gene Taylor would have had my vote if he had refused to throw mud himself. The Democrats ran some negative campaigns too.
Voters failed to do any fact checking. Gene Taylor IS a conservative. He's about as socially conservatives as anyone. Pro-life, pro-family, pro-gun, pro-military, pro-US. Gene voted "nay" on ObamaCare ! What do these Palazzo voters want ?

John Boehner will tell Steven how to vote....only question is will it be by E-mail or will Boehner personally hand him a list ever session on how he needs to vote ?
lurk.gif

This post was edited on 11/3 8:39 PM by THOTH

Thoth is usually a reliable common sense poster. This one is misses the mark wildly.

"Thoth is usually a reliable common sense poster. This one is misses the mark wildly."

You are right on that one scotteagle. If Taylor was a conservative, he would be in the Republican party. No conservative could put up with what the Dems pull with their expansion of government, back room deals for unions, etc. I could go on and on. And yes the Republicans have a lot to answer for what they did with the growth of the government under Bush. That is why many of the moderates lost and one of the reasons the Tea Party happened. Yes, the Tea Party came about not just because of what the Dems were doing, but because of what the blue blood Republicans were doing too. Each and every U S family owes $700,000 in government debt. And right at half of the people don't pay federal taxes. The Dems propose $20 billions in cuts when we are running a deficit of 4 billion a day. And that does not count the interest we need to pay. What a joke.

Taylor is more conservative than many Republicans. It isn't just me saying this, but independant rating sources.
At least Gene could think for himself and represented his state first and the party second.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT