ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson's new mayor...

I hope the city is ready to lose even more residents. I hope he can get the city going but I fear he will just increase the exit of residents and business. We shall see.

When I graduated from SM in '70, my dreams were to find a job in Jackson. Thanks the Lord, that that it didn't happen. I have ended up living in the H'burg area since then, and will never regret it.

Should be a boom? Only boom would be more residences in surrounding areas... But the way I look at it , Jackson affects the surrounding areas more than that..
I would like to see Jackson make a come back but that's not happening Anytime soon
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Be happy now, but sooner or later you will face it. You have to take a stand or it grows. Right now it's Jackson, but in the future it could be Madison, Clinton, or Brandon. It won't stay confined to one city. It may be way down the road, but we ave an obligation to our future generations.

this-- I agree bubba! Hattiesburg truly is a wonderful place to live.
This post was edited on 5/22 6:50 AM by InsuranceEagle

Originally posted by PhiAlphaEagle:
Be happy now, but sooner or later you will face it. You have to take a stand or it grows. Right now it's Jackson, but in the future it could be Madison, Clinton, or Brandon. It won't stay confined to one city. It may be way down the road, but we ave an obligation to our future generations.
Take a stand against what? I know nothing about Jackson or it's surrounding areas. I am curious to though what your area is facing.

Crime, rotting infrastructure, inept leadership, and a lack of ability or want to improve the municipality. Businesses are relocating or refusing to come to Jxn. People are leaving in droves. This election could be the nail in the coffin.

You would have to live in Jackson metro area to know how bad it is and this election just absolutely puts the nails in the coffin. I have followed this election and for the people of Jackson to elect such a divisive and controversial person speaks volumes of what is left in Jackson. I have even told my grown kids to get out of here and that is so difficult since that would mean the grandkids would go too. If not for my dear Mom being in a nursing home, we would be moving to the 'Burg and I would figure out how to work my territory from there. Definitely looking for adequate "firepower" for our house and vehicle. Pray I am wrong but all signs point to Jackson going right down the porcelain receptacle.

I spent about 6 months in Jackson after college and hated it. Horrible crime, no cool things to do in the actual city, and too many black bear and bulldog fans.

From Clinton and lived in a condo downtown at the King Edward for two years after law school. There are great ppl down there working hard to save the place. This election is akin to a haymaker to their cause. It saddens me.

Yep....this election will just get us to bankruptcy that much faster. The new mayor will find out that the city can't litigate it's way into prosperity, and that's what his background is.

His big running point was that the white republicans were supporting his opponent. That tells you what type of people elected him. They aren't interested in moving the city forward - they just want a mayor that hates white people as much as they do. Hate to see the city I grew up in come to this.

Originally posted by USMPiKapp:
His big running point was that the white republicans were supporting his opponent. That tells you what type of people elected him. They aren't interested in moving the city forward - they just want a mayor that hates white people as much as they do. Hate to see the city I grew up in come to this.
I hate to agree with you because it sounds racists, but for the most part I do. When you have leaders like Lamumba and Kenneth Stokes running your city and county things are headed in the wrong direction. Jackson will never be able to move forward because it will always be a black/white issue as long as those type of people are involved.
I remember when Kenneth Stokes was on the City Council and during a TV interview said he didn't' want any white people in Jackson.
Chokwe Lamumba, 65, came to Jackson from Detroit as a member of the Republic of New Afrika (RNA). Please google that if you want to know more.
I am really disappointed in those in Jackson who cut off their nose to spite their face. Johnathan Lee was the answer many have been hoping for. He is young and energetic, and doesn't hold some the grudges of the past like some of the other city leaders do. I worked with his wife for about 6 months after law school and they are good people. I was really excited and hopeful for the City of Jackson, but now I am just plain scared.

I read about Lumumba in the paper and thought there was no way he could get elected. But I have read about a lot of candidates in the last ten years who were evidently unqualified and they won anyway. My granddad use to say that every person who voted should have to take a test and make sure they were of sound mind before they could vote. At the time I thought he was talking crazy, but now understand his thought process. That was right after Jon Bell Williams beat William Winter for Governor.

Lumumba was a famous 3rd world Communist. Even Moscow started a "university" called Patricio Lumumba to train 3rd world "revolutionaries". Just the name tells me something!

Its already happening to Clinton, ridgeland and Byram. Those used to be nice communities,not anymore. Its only a matter of time before the same happens to the rest of the communities around Jackson. The poor leadership in Jackson will bring down the rest of those communities, Madison included. My family is even starting to kick around the idea of leaving and I grew up.here.

Agree with most on the results of this primary. The real problem in Jackson is that the tax base has eroded beyond repair. I would venture to say that this candidate was elected by a majority of people who probably do not even own a home. When squatters and renters out vote the property tax paying home and business owners, the downfall becomes a free fall.

This is very similar to what is happening nationally as well. We are at the point in our society where the people who receive benefits out number the people who are paying for those benefits.

His pitch to improve the Jackson Public Schools was more black history taught. This guy also represented a thug who killed two teenagers a few years ago in Jackson.

Reading this thread just reinforces even more to me that Hattiesburg needs Dave Ware to win this election. He is what we need right now.

I thought this thread would involve a USM grad or USM in some fashion...

Nope!

Just another political thread on the paid board!!!!
flush.r191677.gif

Lived in Jackson (Fondren) for 3 years after college and enjoyed my time there. I want the city to rebound and I will always pull for it. It has been the victim of some rough/unfair circumstances in the past, but man, it refuses to help itself sometimes. I'm not a "the sky is falling" type of guy, but I have a hard time seeing the city moving forward under this guy.

This guy is a 60's style communist/Black power/New Africa radical on steroids. Black Power doesn't even begin to describe his agenda. I can assure you he hates the United States and our Constitution and wishes to eliminate all white people. Believe it.

Reading this thread reinforces my gut feeling on why Ware won't win in Hattiesburg. Better to keep a guy that let the downtown embarrassing stench linger for so long, among many other things. To hell with improvement and progress I guess.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by J-Eagle:
This guy is a 60's style communist/Black power/New Africa radical on steroids. Black Power doesn't even begin to describe his agenda. I can assure you he hates the United States and our Constitution and wishes to eliminate all white people. Believe it.
Can't really attest to all that, but I do know that when he applied for admission, the Mississippi Bar was concerned about some of his previous statements about peacefully overthrowing the government. Should be very interesting to say the least.

Originally posted by Soaring Buzzard:
Jackson is literally the worst place on earth
It is obvious you've never been to Detroit. It makes Jackson look like Club Med.

Originally posted by gneilr:

Originally posted by J-Eagle:
Can't really attest to all that, but I do know that when he applied for admission, the Mississippi Bar was concerned about some of his previous statements about peacefully overthrowing the government. Should be very interesting to say the least.
Over throwing the government, hmm, sure he is not Tea Party guy, oh wait, they want to succeed from the Union

I have tried thinking of a single reason to move back to Jackson and honestly can't think of anything other than it would assure that I drastically increased the number of guns I own.

Originally posted by ctmoore:
Its already happening to Clinton, ridgeland and Byram. Those used to be nice communities,not anymore. Its only a matter of time before the same happens to the rest of the communities around Jackson. The poor leadership in Jackson will bring down the rest of those communities, Madison included. My family is even starting to kick around the idea of leaving and I grew up.here.
I agree that Byram (which just incorporated in the past 5-10 years), Clinton and Ridgeland are heading down that path, but it's a a stretch to say they aren't nice communities anymore. Clinton still has a good school system and has MC and Ridgeland has Renaissance and the "madison county" tag to fall back on.
However, all three are in trouble because they directly touch the city limits of Jackson. The poverty and crime of Jackson are flowing over into those cities because they have not buffer like Brandon and Madison do.
When I was in high school at Clinton (94-97) I worked at MetroCenter Mall, as did many other people I knew. By the time I graduated from USM in 2001, I was basically afraid to go near Metro. Northpark is heading down that same path now.

Originally posted by Mao Tse-gore:
This reveals as much about the man as his election does about the mindset of his constituency.
I'm actually okay, as a history teacher, with him wanting that taught.

As long they give equal classtime to the idea of the Vikings finding America first, I'm good with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT