ADVERTISEMENT

How do you feel about USM becoming an unofficial member of the SEC again?

Houston Eagle

BGN Pro Poster
Aug 11, 2005
If you think my thread title is a bit unusual...look at the schedules from the 1980s and 90s...one year I was at USM, the Eagles took on Florida, Tennessee, and Bama...I also think there was a year with 4 SEC games...
I like the fact of getting the SEC on the schedule once again, but this time there is a MAJOR difference...multiple SEC games at HOME...no SEC refs to deal with....I really think this can open the door to bigger games in Hattiesburg. I know for years we bemoaned the fact of such a poor home schedule...no more...

Only if they visit The Rock. Home and Away required for Ole P, MSU, and bottom feeders..2 for 1 required for the big boys likes of Bama, LSU, Fla. otherwise don't play them.

Reactions: O.G. Eagle
Non Power 5 teams have more leverage and at minimum can demand million dollar payouts if no return game....

The most unusual deal withja CUSA team involved Marshall and Tennessee some years ago. It was a 3 for 1 deal, and to my knowledge it fell apart. I'd like to think now that those days are over.

The most unusual deal withja CUSA team involved Marshall and Tennessee some years ago. It was a 3 for 1 deal, and to my knowledge it fell apart. I'd like to think now that those days are over.
Those deals are usually set up so the SEC team gets their home games on the front end of the deal. If they think they might lose they'll buy out of the road game rather than take the chance of losing to a CUSA school.

Those deals are usually set up so the SEC team gets their home games on the front end of the deal. If they think they might lose they'll buy out of the road game rather than take the chance of losing to a CUSA school.
Good point there. Personally, I'd be fine if we never played an SEC team again unless the contract was solid that we couldn't be shafted. Power is shifting, those teams are finding it harder and harder to get teams to play. We all should keep the pressure on to get better contracts.

The more SEC teams USM plays the better. The SEC is/has become the only conference that matters in the southeast. The more USM plays the SEC the more exposure/money. It sure beats playing South Western Kentucky State for Blind.

I like it. Better than playing a bunch of crap teams.
What would even be better is going independent until a better conference picks us up. I really think we could get better players by going Independent and playing around 6 or 7 teams from acc big 12 and sec and then 5 or 6 crap teams. I would rather get beat by great teams than these horrible teams that are beating us right now!!
That's my two cents.

What would even be better is going independent until a better conference picks us up. I really think we could get better players by going Independent and playing around 6 or 7 teams from acc big 12 and sec and then 5 or 6 crap teams. I would rather get beat by great teams than these horrible teams that are beating us right now!!
That's my two cents.
Well Mustard, as an independent we would be left out of the bowl games unless there happened to be one that didn't get filled. Then we would not get any of the TV income, which is a major deal for us. On top of that, we now have trouble filling up 4 OOC games. Can you imagine us filling up 12. There is a reason that we worked so hard to form a conference, life as an independent sucked.

That's my two cents.

I agree with Mustard Duck.to a large degree. We'd prob make more money visiting 6-7 SEC/Big 12 schools a year than a CUSA tv contract would bring us. We'd get more exposure and better recruits and get the perception of a big league team, just by playing them. Bowl games should be a nonfactor in that decision. We lose money from the current CUSA bowl ties anyway I thought, with the travel vs payout.

I agree with Mustard Duck.to a large degree. We'd prob make more money visiting 6-7 SEC/Big 12 schools a year than a CUSA tv contract would bring us. We'd get more exposure and better recruits and get the perception of a big league team, just by playing them. Bowl games should be a nonfactor in that decision. We lose money from the current CUSA bowl ties anyway I thought, with the travel vs payout.
Think that one through. Visiting 6 or 7 Power 5 Conference teams each year and no bowl games. That leaves us with 6 other games and three or four home games out of those against really bad teams most likely. Can you imagine trying to sell tickets to four home games when people are already saying they don't like who we play now? I can just see the home schedule now: Ark St, Troy, and Alcorn St. Three big draws at the Rock. What player would want to play at a school where he would be on the road 9 our of 12 games a year? Can't see fans or recruits having any love for what you are talking about.

Let's see:
2015 -host Mississippi State-season tickets sales will be through the roof....also my son and friend from work will be at the Rice game
2016 -at LSU and at Kentucky(that LSU game has been pushed back for over 10 years)
2017 -at Tennessee and hosting Kentucky for the season opener....I say if you want to see Kentucky, buy a season ticket....I'll be curious to see what happens to the BYU game...
I hope Bill McGillis is continuing to look for more marquis games and less home games with current and recently former FCS schools...

If we can get back put to where we need to be talent wise, I say play as many tough road games as you can. CUSA schedule should be easy enough.

My sentiments are with Mustard Duck, but NuDae makes a valid point about how difficult it would be to play an independent schedule. From about the mid-1990s and earlier there were plenty of independent Division 1A football programs. To give an idea look at our last season as an independent in 1995. From Sept. 30 to Nov. 11, five of the six teams we played were Tulane, Louisville, Cincinnati, ECU, and Memphis. All of these teams were independents just like us- and none of them are anymore. Trying to fill out the October/November schedule when all these teams are playing conference competition would be extremely difficult.

With that said, if we remain in this conference (which is likely), I wish we would schedule the most entertaining and quality opponents we can for our 4 OOC games. I understand putting one creampuff on the schedule during the first or second week of the season, but fill the rest of the schedule with teams that create some excitement whether they're played at home or on the road. Exciting games means teams like Nebraska, Florida State, Kentucky, Virginia, NC State, Oklahoma State, etc..........not Troy, S. Alabama, Arkansas State, Memphis, etc.

My sentiments are with Mustard Duck, but NuDae makes a valid point about how difficult it would be to play an independent schedule. From about the mid-1990s and earlier there were plenty of independent Division 1A football programs. To give an idea look at our last season as an independent in 1995. From Sept. 30 to Nov. 11, five of the six teams we played were Tulane, Louisville, Cincinnati, ECU, and Memphis. All of these teams were independents just like us- and none of them are anymore. Trying to fill out the October/November schedule when all these teams are playing conference competition would be extremely difficult.

With that said, if we remain in this conference (which is likely), I wish we would schedule the most entertaining and quality opponents we can for our 4 OOC games. I understand putting one creampuff on the schedule during the first or second week of the season, but fill the rest of the schedule with teams that create some excitement whether they're played at home or on the road. Exciting games means teams like Nebraska, Florida State, Kentucky, Virginia, NC State, Oklahoma State, etc..........not Troy, S. Alabama, Arkansas State, Memphis, etc.
"From Sept. 30 to Nov. 11, five of the six teams we played were Tulane, Louisville, Cincinnati, ECU, and Memphis." The only team on that list we have a chance of playing now is Louisville. I am told that the AAC now has a policy of no home and home series with CUSA teams. The AAC is very upset with being ranked two years in a row below CUSA as a football conference. Add to that the fact that they also are hearing how much better our new TV contract may be than theirs , we have received a huge increase in BCS money while they got a decrease, and they are not happy. A bunch of those teams who left feel like they did not get what they were sold.

As to the best schedule to play, I believe we should look back to our history and see what worked best for us. That would be the 2011 season. We won 12 games, and would have been in the Sugar Bowl (a BCS game) if we had taken care of UAB when we were favored by 19. That year we played at Virginia. A respectable team but not a powerhouse, and the only P5 team on the schedule. The top ranked non-P5 team goes to a BCS bowl. Loading up with away games against teams that we stand little chance against. (see below) does not get us into a BCS bowl.

Also. I've heard it said that you give the home team 11 to 17 points. I don't know of any SEC team we've ever played that didn't use SEC refs, so I'll go with the 17 in those games. It's hard to have a chance against Alabama when our kids walk on the field with the score 17 - 0 Alabama. I would much rather play Virginia, NC St., Kentucky, and other teams we can get home and home series with. I believe that today there are enough out there that we can get two a year now. Maybe not. That said, I don't think any of us have the remotest idea how hard scheduling is for our AD in both football and basketball. I used to have some info from the AD years ago and it blew me away how difficult it was.

I clearly remember the home schedules of 20 years ago with FOUR home games, and my understanding was it had to be dome to keep the program afloat. What is different now is that the "big schools" don't hold all of the cards anymore. SEC schools have what 8 conference games? That means four nonconference games that have to be filled. Because the FBS has more teams, that presents more opportunities for non Power 5 teams to schedule home and homes. Again it cannot be emphasized how major of a deal getting a home and home with Kentucky. Twenty years ago this absolutely would not have happened. Think about it. USM has been playing in the heart of SEC country an has never hosted a non Mississippi SEC team. USM has probably played 200 SEC games with only like 5 at the Rock?

Once TM is able to completely restock the program from the ELLLLLLLLLLLLOS disaster, we'll dominate this conference again and start having a decent chance to knock off SEC teams again.

I clearly remember the home schedules of 20 years ago with FOUR home games, and my understanding was it had to be dome to keep the program afloat. What is different now is that the "big schools" don't hold all of the cards anymore. SEC schools have what 8 conference games? That means four nonconference games that have to be filled. Because the FBS has more teams, that presents more opportunities for non Power 5 teams to schedule home and homes. Again it cannot be emphasized how major of a deal getting a home and home with Kentucky. Twenty years ago this absolutely would not have happened. Think about it. USM has been playing in the heart of SEC country an has never hosted a non Mississippi SEC team. USM has probably played 200 SEC games with only like 5 at the Rock?

Once TM is able to completely restock the program from the ELLLLLLLLLLLLOS disaster, we'll dominate this conference again and start having a decent chance to knock off SEC teams again.
Good points Houston. I believe things have changed too and as demonstrated by the Kentucky series we will now be able to schedule more home and home games that our fans will like. Now it's up to us to buy the tickets now to make this possible.

I am told that the AAC now has a policy of no home and home series with CUSA teams. The AAC is very upset with being ranked two years in a row below CUSA as a football conference. Add to that the fact that they also are hearing how much better our new TV contract may be than theirs , we have received a huge increase in BCS money while they got a decrease, and they are not happy. A bunch of those teams who left feel like they did not get what they were sold.

As to the best schedule to play, I believe we should look back to our history and see what worked best for us. That would be the 2011 season. We won 12 games, and would have been in the Sugar Bowl (a BCS game) if we had taken care of UAB when we were favored by 19. That year we played at Virginia. A respectable team but not a powerhouse, and the only P5 team on the schedule. The top ranked non-P5 team goes to a BCS bowl. Loading up with away games against teams that we stand little chance against. (see below) does not get us into a BCS bowl.

Also. I've heard it said that you give the home team 11 to 17 points. I don't know of any SEC team we've ever played that didn't use SEC refs, so I'll go with the 17 in those games. It's hard to have a chance against Alabama when our kids walk on the field with the score 17 - 0 Alabama. I would much rather play Virginia, NC St., Kentucky, and other teams we can get home and home series with. I believe that today there are enough out there that we can get two a year now. Maybe not. That said, I don't think any of us have the remotest idea how hard scheduling is for our AD in both football and basketball. I used to have some info from the AD years ago and it blew me away how difficult it was.

Do you have a link to the AAC policy of no home and home series with CUSA teams? I've never heard that before. If true, that is really petty and childish as a conference. The AAC is hardly in a position of strength to be making those sort of demands....as if a CUSA team will be willing to schedule a "one and done" away game with an AAC team. How laughable!

As for OOC scheduling, I'll admit that I don't care anymore about playing a weakened schedule all in the hopes that it might get us in a New Years Day bowl. I think the reason we dumbed down our OOC schedule occasionally over the past decade was the hope that it would get us into a BCS bowl. But the ulterior motive was that it would make Southern Miss attractive to one of the power conferences for expansion. Obviously that never happened, and that dream is basically dead. A program like Southern Miss can gather as much football glory for itself by winning regular season games against quality competition. I would use 1981 as an example. A tie against nationally ranked Alabama, and two victories over nationally ranked MSU and Florida State (a 58-14 drubbing) are remembered to this day. If we had used the 2011 scheduling philosophy back then, we would have dropped Alabama and Florida State from the schedule, opting to play one game against a "beatable" opponent in MSU. The 1981 season would hardly be the memorable season it is if you had scratched those two teams from the schedule. If you don't schedule quality opponents like that, then there is no opportunity for a 1981-type season. As others have said, I think a quality OOC schedule also makes the program more attractive for recruits. If you're a talented football player, you want to compete against recognized teams. The more, the better.

Do you have a link to the AAC policy of no home and home series with CUSA teams? I've never heard that before. If true, that is really petty and childish as a conference. The AAC is hardly in a position of strength to be making those sort of demands....as if a CUSA team will be willing to schedule a "one and done" away game with an AAC team. How laughable!

As for OOC scheduling, I'll admit that I don't care anymore about playing a weakened schedule all in the hopes that it might get us in a New Years Day bowl. I think the reason we dumbed down our OOC schedule occasionally over the past decade was the hope that it would get us into a BCS bowl. But the ulterior motive was that it would make Southern Miss attractive to one of the power conferences for expansion. Obviously that never happened, and that dream is basically dead. A program like Southern Miss can gather as much football glory for itself by winning regular season games against quality competition. I would use 1981 as an example. A tie against nationally ranked Alabama, and two victories over nationally ranked MSU and Florida State (a 58-14 drubbing) are remembered to this day. If we had used the 2011 scheduling philosophy back then, we would have dropped Alabama and Florida State from the schedule, opting to play one game against a "beatable" opponent in MSU. The 1981 season would hardly be the memorable season it is if you had scratched those two teams from the schedule. If you don't schedule quality opponents like that, then there is no opportunity for a 1981-type season. As others have said, I think a quality OOC schedule also makes the program more attractive for recruits. If you're a talented football player, you want to compete against recognized teams. The more, the better.
The information about the AAC and their policy of no home and home games with CUSA because of their conference being rated weaker than CUSA came from the CUSA board and I don't have a link. As to the AAC being able to make the demands, they can do it if they want to. It may be petty and stupid, but they can. They think of themselves as one of the Power 5 conferences and above the rest of us. It is just killing them that CUSA is better in football and that our TV contract will be bringing in way more money. I am so glad we didn't go to that horrible conference.

The AAC deal was a one trick pony. Once the BCS carrot could no longer be dangled, they are nothing but another CUSA like conference.

ADVERTISEMENT