ADVERTISEMENT

Dupree-Ware Trial

All Eagle

Starter
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2003
There is a lot of misinformation out there. The closing arguments start tomorrow at 9 am and can be viewed live at www.wdam.com. I suggest you watch it if you want an excellent summary of the whole case. Should be very interesting and you should be able to get an understanding of the whole process very quickly. Watch the whole thing--both sides. Jury will get the case by lunch.

Can't help but think of Dana Carvey doing his George Bush impersonation saying "can't do it, would not be prudent" each time Ware's attorney says "can't do it"..

Very interesting to watch, will be more interesting to see how the jury votes.

Does anyone know if they are going to allow the jury to vote absentee?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Not trying to jump down anyone's throat or be rude. Fall camp is 2 days away and we are posting about the hattiesburg mayoral race on this board. Believe me I understand that the mayor of Hattiesburg has a direct affect on our beloved USM. But I dont think its the place to talk about it. I dont live in Hattiesburg and this has no direct ties to me. But when I come here I am expecting to see who maybe the starting the qb, or who has really bulked up under the new S&C coach. Just dont want to see political rah rah. But you pay just like I do, so I guess you can post anything you want....

Originally posted by WER4USM (n10ac):

Can't help but think of Dana Carvey doing his George Bush impersonation saying "can't do it, would not be prudent" each time Ware's attorney says "can't do it"..

Very interesting to watch, will be more interesting to see how the jury votes.
I think it was actually "Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent." I loved Dana Carvey on SNL.

Thanks for your insight eagleholic (sarcasm)...still dont want to hear about the other.....

It certainly appears that Jimmy Dukes is not simply an observer, as was reported by the Hattiesburg Patriot, as he is the lead attorney giving the closing argument for DuPree at present.

Originally posted by USM97:
Thanks for your insight eagleholic (sarcasm)...still dont want to hear about the other.....
I'm dying for info just like you are. I just dont think there will be alot out there until fall camp gets underway. I'm hoping that alot of our OL have put on some good weight over the summer, and that they wont be near as light as many pundits are thinking.

The level of intellectual dishonesty coming out of DuPree's attorneys' mouths is absolutely mind-numbing.

This idiot at the end has turned it in to a civil rights pulpit sermon basically telling the jury to disregard the law and instead fight to keep DuPree as mayor "because we've come to far to give in now." He's speaking directly to the black jurors, trying to race-bait and shame them into fighting for DuPree in the jury room.

Please keep some of the rest of us out of towners posted. I am able to read topics and know which posts I care to read.

Originally posted by Eagle Lurker:
Please keep some of the rest of us out of towners posted. I am able to read topics and know which posts I care to read.

images

This post was edited on 7/30 11:59 AM by nostereagle

This post was edited on 7/30 12:01 PM by nostereagle

Originally posted by USM97:

Not trying to jump down anyone's throat or be rude. Fall camp is 2 days away and we are posting about the hattiesburg mayoral race on this board. Believe me I understand that the mayor of Hattiesburg has a direct affect on our beloved USM. But I dont think its the place to talk about it. I dont live in Hattiesburg and this has no direct ties to me. But when I come here I am expecting to see who maybe the starting the qb, or who has really bulked up under the new S&C coach. Just dont want to see political rah rah. But you pay just like I do, so I guess you can post anything you want....
Speak for yourself. Don't live in Hattiesburg, and never have, but this case is still highly interesting to me. The success of USM is tied to the success of Hattiesburg, and vice versa. Getting rid of this racist scumbag Dupree seems pretty important.

I don't know what the jury will do but I have never seen or heard weaker closing statements than I heard this morning from the Dupree side. They did not rebut, or really even try to rebut, a single point made by the Ware side. The type and number of election law violations is mind numbing and I could not see or hear any defenses to any of them. Regardless of what the jury does I can see no way this election should stand. Dupree literally had no defense based upon the closing arguments. Stunning.

Politically the City of Hattiesburg has become an embarrassment and is as corrupt as a city can get, I hope this fraudulently stolen election can be reversed and maybe a slow start to reversing the trend can start. The corruption and influence runs deep in the Burg these days.

Here's the summary for both sides' closing arguments today:

Ware - The statutes governing elections are very clear on what constitutes a legal ballot or an illegal ballot. Ware's side has to prove, by preponderance of the evidence, that DuPree has votes in his column that should be thrown out and counted as illegal ballots. Based on the mandatory checklist for legal balloting, several different groups of questionable ballots should be counted as illegal, based on the evidence at hand. Ware's team has proven that the ballots should be counted as illegal, regardless of whether the vote was for Ware or DuPree. By throwing out those questionable ballots, Ware is the mathematical winner, as the sum total of all legal votes gives Ware a majority. This is trial is not about discerning the people's will, and it isn't about choosing which man should lead Hattiesburg. It isn't about race, and it isn't about racial voting history. It is about the legal definition of what constitutes a legitmate vote, and adding up the mathmetical total of all legitimate votes, which reveals the winner of a legitimate, legal election.

DuPree -- The jury shouldn't get too caught up in the specifics of the law regarding legal ballots. Don't focus on mandatory election requirements. This trial is really about trying to disenfranchise minority voters. Ware's case is based on trying to smear good black men and women, like Plukie Bolton and Johniece DuPree, and make the jury think they did something wrong and can't be trusted. Now is not the time to start throwing out votes, regardless of whether the voters followed election law. Their will in voting for DuPree is evident, even if their ballot doesn't conform to all the requirements. Black people had to fight long an hard for the right to vote. Vernon Dahmer died for it. Black people have come too far in Hattiesburg to lose now. Johnny DuPree needs 4 of the jurors to fight for him to remain mayor. They will have to be his lawyers in the jury room. They will have to protect him from the folks who want to change the election outcome.

I think that's about as fair and accurate of a summary as I can give. If someone disagrees with this being an accurate depiction, please let us know your thoughts.

Or Precious Martin saying that where he came from nobody would come into town and get away with criticizing their public officials. Ware should have sat down and talked to the city clerk or others if he had a problem but to air dirty laundry in public....never!! When Precious was a boy "....Momma had 5 boys..." we fought and "...sometimes we was bad....but when we left the house we didn't say a word cause we didn't put that stuff on the street...." and that is what Ware is doin. Un-bee--leevable.

Originally posted by WastinawaynNitChampsburg:

Catfish you forgot the juror intimidation by dukes. Reminding 2 jurors who work at fgh that he is their attorney.
Talk about a conflict of interest....

Whenever the jury returns their verdict I would not be surprised at all if it was 7 - 5 and a mistrial.

I just can't see it going any other way.

I'm not sure the current status, but on the live feed the courtroom seems to be filling back up. The judge is back in and the lawyers are coming in. Has the jury reached a verdict?

Well, the judge said something I couldn't make out and now it looks like everyone is leaving. Perhaps they called everyone in to recess until tomorrow...

Several people left the room, including all the attorneys. It appears a lot of people are still sitting in the audience. I could make out someone saying that the jury had a question.

Perhaps everyone came in for that and then left again. It looks like they aren't in recess and are still waiting for a verdict - a lot of folks still waiting in the courtroom.

Originally posted by APOLLOEagle:
Whenever the jury returns their verdict I would not be surprised at all if it was 7 - 5 and a mistrial.

I just can't see it going any other way.
Two questions, what happens if there is a mistrial and what's the racial make up of the jury?

Don't know what happens in the case of a mistrial.

The jury is 7 white, 5 black.

Thanks to all for the updates-USM97 needs to learn how to not open up a thread he doesn't want to read anything about. Message board 101...

The live feed and sound is now back up and folks are coming in the room. Something is happening.

I could be wrong, but the way I understand it, Ware has to have nine votes to have the election results overturned. If he doesn't get the nine votes, Dupree wins. There would not be a mistrial if the vote were 7-5. Dupree would remain as mayor.

Live feed is on, and the room is filled. All the attorneys have taken their seats and the room has gotten quiet. Something is happening again.

It appears the jury has submitted another question to the judge. There is now some debate about whether the judge can clarify the jury instructions, and whether that would constitute the judge placing undue emphasis on a specific instruction over another. DuPree's lawyers objected to the judge doing anything more than telling the jury, "you already have your instructions". It appears the judge is going to provide a written answer to the jury's latest question (not sure what it is) and show it to the lawyers before submitting it to the jury.

I think the jury decides the case tonight. They don't want to be held up in court any longer than necessary.

The jury was asking the judge if there were any supreme court decisions that threw out both the affidavid and absentee ballots. His response is pretty much you already have your instructions.

I did see one of our booster club officers in the crowd yesterday and joking with them about why they were there i was informed that ware's lead council is a usm alum that she had taught.

PS here is a laugh, i didnt realize until this mess started that Plukie is actually on the board of fgh.

DuPree's attorneys now asking for a mistrial because the jury hasn't come to a verdict after only 3 HOURS of deliberation!!!!

Judge says he thinks it's important for both parties and the community to allow the jury to try to reach a verdict. More legal wrangling going on now.

Originally posted by Catfish:
DuPree's attorneys now asking for a mistrial because the jury hasn't come to a verdict after only 3 HOURS of deliberation!!!!
I think its common when the jury says they can't reach a verdict to move for a mistrial.

Judge reads a statement to the jury called the "allen charge" that essentially asks them to continue deliberations. He instructed the jury to return to the jury room and continue deliberations.

The jury was unable to reach a 9-3 decision, suggesting there are deep divisions among the jurors, likely among racial lines.

ADVERTISEMENT