ADVERTISEMENT

coca cola add

jt the eagle

All Conference
Jan 30, 2008
I am sure just about everyone on here watched the Super Bowl blowout last night....What did you think of the Coke Super Bowl ad with our National Anthem being sung in multiple languages....I personally was DAMN offended!! I might have just been me, but it flew all over me that American has come to this point....Am I wrong or was that add damn wrong? Help me understand where I am being shallow minded as my wife says I was!
This post was edited on 2/3 7:18 AM by jt the eagle

Re: coca cola ad

"Give me your tired and huddled masses"....or something like that...

It was not the National Anthem, it was American the Beautiful. I saw nothing wrong with the ad. Think about it, people from all parts of the world were singing about the beauty of our country.

More ppl are talking about their need to include homosexual families in the commercial than the song utilizing multiple languages.

I am all about America being the melting pot for all races, creeds and cultures, but do not support the use of multiple languages in the United States. Using multiple languages is very divisive. This is America. Speak English please.

Manufacturing controversy, you're giving them exactly what they intended.

It wasn't my cup of tea, but I had no problem with it either.

Thought the Budweiser commercials with the soldier and the lab puppies were by far the best ones.

Originally posted by jt the eagle:

I am sure just about everyone on here watched the Super Bowl blowout last night....What did you think of the Coke Super Bowl ad with our National Anthem being sung in multiple languages....I personally was DAMN offended!! I might have just been me, but it flew all over me that American has come to this point....Am I wrong or was that add damn wrong? Help me understand where I am being shallow minded as my wife says I was!
This post was edited on 2/3 7:18 AM by jt the eagle
Because America is an immigrant nation. If it were not we would all be speaking some from of American Indian dialect.

It offended me right off the bat! Yes, we were known as the melting pot and immigrants wanted to melt into our culture. Now others bring their cultures which are sometimes evil but certainly different. Our great culture was one in which Judeo-Christian values were expressed by our founding fathers. With the inner city rap culture and sharia law culture abounding in America, we are rapidly losing what made this country great.

Go Christ Clark!

My opinion? Folks like you should open your minds a bit. A lot of this country was formed over the years by folks who came here speaking OTHER languages - lots of Italians, Polish, and many, many others. We are a melting pot, yet we are all Americans.

Closed minds are our worst enemy. It was not advocating us avoiding English. It was about how America is made up of a variety of cultures - we all originated elsewhere. And many who do not live in America, still strive to be what America is.
This post was edited on 2/3 10:30 AM by Traveling Eagle

I am probably one of the most open minded people I know, but I want you to think about what the United States of America would be like today if every immigrant who had arrived here continued to speak their own language without learning English. English is one of the great uniting factors of our country. People of every race, creed and culture united. The commercial would have been wonderful if the lyrics to America the Beautiful had been in English. Sorry, but it struck a nerve.

I too was offended. I understand that we are a melting pot of cultures, races and creeds. When our forefathers came to this country it was because they wanted to become Americans in every sense of the word....to follow our laws, learn our history, and to become good ENGLISH SPEAKING citizens. For many years it was a foregone conclusion that whoever came to this country would learn the English language and speak it in day-to-day life. Now there is a certain segment of immigrants (both legal and illegal) who come here with a goal in mind to change our laws to fit THEIR beliefs and not even bother to learn our language. Our federal government turns a blind eye to many of these things that will bring turn the U.S. into a third world country and THIS is what upsets me.

I was very offended! If you were in any other country, you'd never hear any English commercials especially songs that are patriotic or associated with that particular country.

Originally posted by BatonRougeEagleRon:
I was very offended! If you were in any other country, you'd never hear any English commercials especially songs that are patriotic or associated with that particular country.
Kind of the beauty of the United States isn't it......

Coca Cola also ran a Super Bowl ad last night showing a kid with two dads. Gay rights organization GLAAD praised the ad, calling it "a step forward for the advertising industry.".

I don't know that I was offended by it exactly, but I didn't like it. It just sounds wrong. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to national songs and the like. I get annoyed when people try to get creative with the National Anthem. Don't try to make it your song. It America's song. So although I see what they were doing with this commercial, I have to admit it didn't sit well for me.

Honestly, at first I thought they were showing scenes from around the world. I figured there would be uproar from other countries. Didn't realize it was supposed to be all in the US.

Ignorance is our worst enemy it seems to me! I have traveled in Japan and throughout Europe and most of our beautiful country. I appreciate the culture in America and it is being changed. (Judeo-Christian values) Political correctness hides the culture of evil and sin such as homosexual lifestyle and internationalism. I don't care what you choose to do but don't try to change our culture by speaking different languages and calling a sin a lifestyle or taking away precious American traditions and songs! That is an informed opinion and has nothing to do with a closed mind!

And don't take your beliefs and try to force someone else to follow them. Our country was based on Freedom of Religion, which includes freedom from it, if someone so choses. Values are based on being a good person, not if your Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhists, or whatever. I'm Christian, but it's not my right to force my values or beliefs on anyone. To do so makes us no better than Iran or the Taliban.

yup it was you and it was America the Beautiful not the National Anthem. Not sure why people get so upset at something that does not effect your life at all.

Believing that people who move to our country and become citizens legally should learn and speak English is hardly trying to force my Christian beliefs on them. Where you ever got that notion is beyond me.

I truly liked it. It made me proud to think of all the cultures, the diversity of thought, values and religious belief that make up our country. I have the freedom to practice or not practice a religious belief or philosophy. Keep government out of these freedoms...please! Don't want the Taliban or Southern Baptist sitting on a throne.

Originally posted by belhaveneagle:

Believing that people who move to our country and become citizens legally should learn and speak English is hardly trying to force my Christian beliefs on them. Where you ever got that notion is beyond me.
Belhaven... on a practical front, I agree on English. I have a Phillipino daughter-n-law, she is married to my son, who is a Sargent in the Air Force. The kids hold dual citizenship and are bilingual, English and Tulague. The oldest spent a year in private school in the Phillipines while my son was deployed to Iraq. English as a strong second language can be a good thing, cause we need it for public life.

Dozens of languages have been spoken in the United States of America for more than two centuries. This is nothing new, nor is it likely to change.

as close as mississippi is to an area that speaks predominately french, this is a really weird topic :p

Originally posted by Man-of-Steel:
It was not the National Anthem, it was American the Beautiful. I saw nothing wrong with the ad. Think about it, people from all parts of the world were singing about the beauty of our country.
This is how I saw it too, but a woman at our SuperBowl party (whom I greatly respect and who has an adopted daughter from Vietnam) said she was offended by it. To me, it was a beautiful rendition. I do agree that speaking English should be a requirement for Citizenship (and non-citizens shouldn't become permanent citizens), as otherwise they can't get a decent job and end up a burden on the rest of us for no reason (or migrant workers, which is no good for them).

Originally posted by USM@FTL:
Loved the commercial! Saddened by so many closed minds and hearts in this thread.
I'm saddened that patriotism and American pride is being lambasted as "closed minds" and "closed hearts". I shouldn't be surprised, though. True Patriots are a dying breed, and American pride is being destroyed by the pussification (liberalism) of America.

First of all, before I state my opinion, I would like to say that anyone who disagrees with my opinion is closed minded. lol

While I am very pro-immigration, I was also offended at this commercial. I am also anti- illegal immigration. There are many, many Europeans who are educated and are needed in the job market, but the government will not even think about allowing them into the country as immigrants. They do want Iranians, and those from many Muslim countries, and the Mexican poor and uneducated illegal ones though.

But I wander away from the commercial. Showing people from different countries is fine, it's the different languages that is offensive. The Italians, Irish, and others who came here, came to be Americans, What we have now are groups who want this to be a nation of Chinese-Americans, Iranian-Americans, Mexican-Americans, with their country and language first. I mean it's to the point where most Americans don't know who our fist president was, or that we are based on a capitalistic system. How will we survive if our own citizens don't know about our country, much less us being a group of citizens of "different countries." In the past we have always been headed toward one America. We are now headed toward a boatload of Americas.

I want immigrants who want to be Americans. This does not mean one cannot honor their heritage, all should do that.That is very important. However, I would never think of immigrating to another country such as Italy and demanding they change their ways to what I had here. I would go there to adopt into their country,

Originally posted by mallardhen:
I am probably one of the most open minded people I know, but...
scared0011.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT