ADVERTISEMENT

Bennett has taken down the MS flag.

alabaster eagle

BGN Pro Poster
Jul 8, 2003
I am tired of people taking actions that they have no authority to do based on their personal views. If he doesn't like the flag, let him lobby for a change, however, this unilateral action is bull&*(%

I agree. I wouldn't mind a change in the flag if it is done the right way. This kind of dictatorship can't be allowed.

Reactions: swac12
Authority because he presides over the institution... yes. Justification for action... no.

I know I wanted the Governor to step forward and tell Ole Miss to put the flag back up or they wouldn't see another dime of funds. Now that would have been interesting.

IM like everybody else I'm not in love with the flag think the Magnolia flag was a nice one but I am sick of all the political posturing. That would be like Bennett saying something like we will no longer announce the Ole Miss scores or mention Ole Miss until they get rid of the nickname rebels.

Like Alabaster said lobby to Get the changes made and quit the theatrics.

Pull state funding over a flag? That would have been more embarrassing than the flag itself.
They may not lose state funding because eventually the government of MS will cave to political correctness just like everyone else, but they sure enough will be losing my funding.

Boxing no I'm not serious of pulling state funding I am just sick of the theatrics.

It's a touchy subject all around. However, as state institutions (UM, USM, and UMMC) they should be flying the state flag until such time as it is no longer the flag. The same goes for city hall. It is unilateral action that may or may not be representative of constituents feelings about the issue. In fact, the only true evidence you have is the previous statewide vote to keep the current flag which won by a large margin. Mississippi has a troubled past in this area, and all this does is stir the political pot a little more.

As an aside, my feelings toward the flag were changed by some very good and non-sided writing during the previous vote. I believe that symbols represent what they are most closely associated with - and unfortunately the stars and bars is now largely associated with ignorance and hate. While I don't see it that way, a large number do. So change it. But change it the right way - not because of the political whim of a few. I wonder why Bennett felt the need to do this now. Is he trying to play keep up with UM?

So for the sake of argument that Bennett has the authority to decide what flag flies, what if he raised a rainbow flag, or an ISIS flag, or something offensive to other people? How many people does something have to offend to empower the president of the university to make this type of change? What if he comes out next and declares we will no longer have the Dixie Darlings because the name is offensive? What if the Pride of the South band is renamed because the south should not be proud of its racist heritage? When Muslims start declaring offense to the US flag, are we going to take it down also as not to offend? This is just the edge of the slippery slope.

I think it is a great idea, but while I was born in Jackson, and have family still in the area, I haven't lived in Mississippi since 1987. Just remove the Stars and Bars, expand the rest, you have a solution.

diehard eagle, when the libs rewrite history and change the meaning of things I guess we just have to roll over and take it because people are offended due to their ignorance.

This has nothing to do with rednecks. This has to do with the correct way of doing things. Until the flag of the state is changed, it should fly over the state university. If the university presidents want it changed, they have about 100k students as a starting point to implement the movement.

Over a flag?
You could ask the same question in reverse....all of this over a flag? Ridiculousness flows both ways....the flag issue was voted on and settled years ago but those that lost that battle are not satisfied and will not be until they get their way. As long as a vote goes their way everythings cool but when they lose......then the issue has to be forced and or deemed by a court. This ain't democracy.....America has become PC in the extreme.

To answer your question alabaster, if he flew the rainbow flag it would continue to fly unless there was a big enough uproar to take it down. The state flag would be raised again if there is a big enough uproar over. But it won't happen.
This is not a PC issue, but those who complain about PC are scared to death of it or don't have enough back bone to confront it.
There have been more than one pro flag rallies. None of which drew more than a few hundred people. But put most Mississippians in the privacy of a voting booth and they will support the hell out of it.

Over a flag?
No, over leadership and poor judgement. Btw, I'm a sworn officer of the MS Army National Guard, so I've sworn my allegiance to that flag and the state's leadership. The state's leadership has not initiated a method of change for that flag. Taking matters into your own hands is wrong. Now, this goes a lot deeper for me because I am ashamed of what people have "assumed" that symbol to mean, with zero justification. So by caving into something that is complete BS only fuels the problem, not extinguish it.

Reactions: Biscuit9
Yeah, let's strip state funds...because MS needs even LESS education.

The pro-slavery crowd is ridiculous.
Slavery isn't an issue here. Never was. Ignorance in thinking that it is, is what is fueling this problem.

No, over leadership and poor judgement. Btw, I'm a sworn officer of the MS Army National Guard, so I've sworn my allegiance to that flag and the state's leadership. The state's leadership has not initiated a method of change for that flag. Taking matters into your own hands is wrong. Now, this goes a lot deeper for me because I am ashamed of what people have "assumed" that symbol to mean, with zero justification. So by caving into something that is complete BS only fuels the problem, not extinguish it.

No worries dude, you will soon be swearing your allegiance to a different state flag.

Pull state funding over a flag? That would have been more embarrassing than the flag itself.
Also illegal.The state cannot do that. Check it out, I did. Bennett had full authority to make the decision.

I do not have any problem with the flag issue. I just regret we are doing all those politically correct because the "politically correct industry. is shoving it down our throats. Why did we not ban solid green military uniforms when two thugs dressed so, stood at a polling station with billy clubs intimidating voters. Instead, our new Attorney General dropped charges against them. Sheesh

diehard eagle, when the libs rewrite history and change the meaning of things I guess we just have to roll over and take it because people are offended due to their ignorance.

No one is talking about re-writing history or having the "libs" take over. And no one is suggesting that we "roll over". I'd like Bennett to explain his position, and why he felt it proper for him to take this kind of unprompted action. As I said before, the flag issue has its place - the polls and the legislature. I don't see what Bennett (or UM, or UMMC) is doing as a flag issue now - it is an issue of control, authority, and accountability for our President. To my knowledge, there have been no protests, no cries of oppression and no worries over environment here. Why now? This reeks of tagging along with Ole Miss, which coming from our President's office concerns me much more than the shapes and colors on our flag.

Last edited:
For years I have advocated for our State flag to take the shape of a football. Include one color stripe to represent each public University.

For years I have advocated for our State flag to take the shape of a football. Include one color stripe to represent each public University.

Advocated something similar... White stripe for white Mississippians, one for black Mississippians with a big gold star in the middle of it.

Glad it is down. Gov. Phil Bryant said this week "I think college students react a lot emotionally," he said after the student senate vote." Phil "The Failure" needs to step down as governor. The state is at the bottom in just about every national ranking Education, Health, Poverty). 1 sorry governor

When the time comes to for that to be necessary then so be it, but it is not that time now... dude.

https://mississippipep.wordpress.co...stitutions-be-required-to-fly-the-state-flag/

Overwhelming yes....backs up what I said earlier. Flag is highly supported when supporters can privately do so. That or they are too damn lazy to publicly support. Not to mention it's a conservative web site, and as ashamed as I am to admit it, conservatives overwhelming support it.

Overwhelming yes....backs up what I said earlier. Flag is highly supported when supporters can privately do so. That or they are too damn lazy to publicly support. Not to mention it's a conservative web site, and as ashamed as I am to admit it, conservatives overwhelming support it.

Yea, gotta hate democracy to demand that supporters stand and shout when we have representatives that should do that for us. Voting is a private act....and should be. There is no shame at all voicing your opinion in the privacy of a voting booth. We did that years ago and the flag remained unchanged. In a perfect world that would have ended the debate and law and order would have prevailed but libs cannot stand the voting booth and attempt to circumvent the will and vote of the people every time the count is not in their favor. It is a PC issue, the flag has been demonized to represent to some that it does not. History is what it is, nothing is gonna change it. The flag represents MS....nothing more, nothing less. Love or hate it, it is what it is and if it is going to change it should be voted on.....again and when it stands it should be over.....again.

Question is....what are you going to do about it? Whine on a message board or actually stand up and be counted. Because the other side is kicking your arse. And they will continue to do so until you and other like minded people decide you care enough to at least attempt evoke change.

Second read up on history. Storm Thurman (sp?) and the Dixiecrats who supported segregation and the separation of races started demonization of the battle flag. Until that time it was rarely seen. When blacks marched for civil rights in the 60's whites showed to counter protest and proudly flew what flag?

My family is a mixed bag, half northern half southern. But it's like I read what someone said. Quite proud that my southern ancestors stood up, just not what they stood up for.

You going to stand up? Or just sit there.

been saying for a while that I wish the Gov would just take action and change the flag. Go ahead and get it over with so people can move on. it is not like he is risking any political liability in doing so.

I think in this case, Ole Miss forced our hand in making this decision. Pretty soon all state institutions will be taking the flag down. At that point, the media fallout we would receive for not taking the flag down would do way more damage to our image than taking it down. Think negative national media coverage, losing potential students and recruits, etc. It is what it is. Hate it happened this way, but understand his decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT